Topic: Application Contests

Just came up with this so bear with me.  Why don't we have application contests periodically and maybe add the winning applications(and even the non winners) to to an open source directory of rails apps for anyone to tinker with/use.  I think it'd be a good way to see everyone's capabilities and it should help everyone learn some newer techniques that only the gurus know. 

Just something to think about, but there is a broad range of things that we could do with application contests, having an open source directory is just one.  Maybe we could also have sponsors who pay to have their link on the winning application's links section or even have them offer prizes of some sort. 

Thoughts?

Re: Application Contests

I like this idea.

Maybe it could be a spin off Ruby Quiz, but for Rails applications.

Railscasts - Free Ruby on Rails Screencasts

Vinnie and I have been discussing the possibility of holding a Rails Day-esque contest sometime during the winter.  Something with prizes and some good exposure for the winners.  Rails Day already exists for building apps, so we were toying with the idea of a contest around building RoR plugins.

But so far this is just an idea that has come up a few times in idle chatter... it's still months off. smile

Josh Catone helps run this place
Rails Forum - Rails Jobs

ryanb wrote:

I like this idea.

Maybe it could be a spin off Ruby Quiz, but for Rails applications.

That sounds great.

To make it interesting and allow even news to grow while participating we could make contests with strict constraints.  Require no more than one model, require under 100 lines of code, make it entirely written for BackgrounDRB, require that it monitors some other app, etc.

A serious upside to this would be that there would be a repository of sample code for various tasks.  And I think we could ALL benefit from more sample code.