Topic: Rails for a POS system - Suitable?

heya,

I was wondering what are member's thoughts on using Rails for developing a POS (Point-Of-Sale) for a small business?

Essentially, it'll be to just to process sales, look up products, check stock, and print out reports. The DB and webserver will probably be in-store - would there be issues getting it snappy enough for day to day use?

Thanks,
victor

PS: I know there is an OS PHP POS project (www.phppointofsale.com), but it shouldn't be that hard to re-do just the basic functionality in Rails, right?

Re: Rails for a POS system - Suitable?

I am in the middle of attempting to do this same thing right now, except I would like an inventory system too, and I think I am progressing alright, thanks in part to some help I've received on this board.

I had some problems with speed because I didn't really know how to use ActiveRecord properly, but I received help here that resulted in page loads going from 15 seconds to 0.3 seconds.

For a point of sale system, I'm assuming it will only have a few users, so you're not going to have to worry about speed. 

I've written a web-based POS in Java, and from my experience with that, Rails would do very well.

Yeah Rails would be perfect for that kind of system.  You might want to release it as open source so it'll be even better wink