Topic: "We're sorry but something went wrong" notification

For some reason my app has suddenly started giving Rails standard "Something Bad Happened" messages. That message says "we've been notified about this issue and we'll take a look at it shortly".

First: where is this message coming from? I'd like to design it to match my layouts.

Second (and really the most important): How is that alleged notification supposed to happen? As far as I can tell right now, it's NOT happening.

Re: "We're sorry but something went wrong" notification

It probably comes from /public/500.html

The notification probably isn't happening. I'm not really sure why it says that.

Last edited by BJClark (2007-10-18 12:38:18)

BJ Clark
the science department
http://www.scidept.com/

BJClark is right..you can customize that error page (500.html)

Out of curiosity are you in production or development mode?

I'm in production. Here's what's REALLY weird--when I kick over to development, I don't get ANY error and the application behaves completely normally. And when I go back and forth between the two environments, sometimes I get the error in production... and sometimes not.

Last edited by ratbastid (2007-10-18 13:54:47)

Well, you can change config.log_level in /config/environments/production.rb and check production.log to see what the error you are getting is.

BJ Clark
the science department
http://www.scidept.com/

Run in production and keep a window open with tail -f log/production.log  I end up doing that more often than I should..

I'm in development with Ubuntu 9.10, when i boot up my server and i go to localhost:3000 it has the rails welcome message but then when I hit "About your application’s environment" or if i go to any of my pages it says "We're sorry, but something went wrong." how on earth do i fix that?

check your production log. when it kicks an error either the production log or the mongel/thin log will show you the way.

just guessing from this thread I'd say you probably have a gem installed on the local machine that is required but is not installed on the server. Or you have a null value in your database on an index field that you're not accounting for...

Those are the two cases that usually throw this error for me.

"If I'd asked my customers what they wanted, they'd have said a faster horse." - Henry Ford

man, time relaly flies. its march 22 already, and I fixed the problem a long time ago, just never got a chance to reply. thanks enginneerdave, looking at the logs helped

viniosity wrote:

Run in production and keep a window open with tail -f log/production.log  I end up doing that more often than I should..

What do you mean, more often than you should?  What's wrong with doing that?

###########################################
#If i've helped you then please recommend me at Working With Rails:
#http://www.workingwithrails.com/person/ … i-williams

Hi,
is probably that the error is caused by the connection to the database.
When there is a connection error, eg the password or the user is wrong then this error is logged, even if you change the log level.

Try to set de DB with the same parameters as development to dicards problems, and then re-configure with the production settings.

Regars

Last edited by Fernando T. Arg (2010-05-06 19:00:07)

open your application folder..
locate the log folder
open the development.log document

is this what you see?...

/!\ FAILSAFE /!\  2010-07-09 14:58:26 +0800
  no such file to load -- sqlite3 ......and so on..

if this is the error you see then

solution:
1. install database server if you haven't done yet. For this instance

install the mysql DBMS from mysql.org.
2. that's not all..
3. DBMS is a