Topic: 4 instances of ruby 1.8 running! WHY?

I was wondering why my site was going a little bit slow so I checked to see what processes were running to come up with something weird:

CPU    MEM    Process
    22.3    /usr/bin/ruby1.8
    13.5    /usr/bin/ruby1.8
    14.7    /usr/bin/ruby1.8
    20.0    /usr/bin/ruby1.8
    ----
    70.5%!

--I assume that each instance of apache does NOT instantiate a new ruby? I'm checking the startup scripts right now, any other tips?

Re: 4 instances of ruby 1.8 running! WHY?

Not enough info. Are you proxying to Mongrel or running directly under Apache. If the latter, then every worker process will need its own Ruby interpreter. Heck, if you are proxying to Mongrel, each Mongrel will need its own Ruby interpreter. But at least Mongrels run only when you tell them to.

Well i'm too inexperienced to know the difference between those. I believe we're proxying to mongrel though. Turns out, it was because my partner was SSHed into the server and running tests as well as doing stuff in the console. I assume 1 instance of ruby for the site, 1 for the tests, 1 for the console?

Sounds right. Why are you running tests on a server that hosts your site?

I'm not sure why he was running tests on the server since we obviously ran them locally before we deployed. I guess he was just double checking..

cwd wrote:

Sounds right. Why are you running tests on a server that hosts your site?

hi. i am gonna run my site using a host server but i don't know how.do you have any guides or can you please help me out?

I conceive we're proxying to mongrelize though It was because my partner was SSHed into the server and campaigning tests as well as doing material in the cabinet.