Topic: Newbi Question - Developed on Windows, but Destined for Unix

I have a question that I have been unable to find the answer to. It is very possible that it is a non-sense question, but I figured I would ask before I starprobelted on my first RoR project.

Most of the RoR tutorials and lessons are done locally on a window's machine. My question is this, when developed on a Window's machine, can the script be migrated to an apache/unix server without any problems?

I ask this because with other languages, there are conflicts between windows and unix, such as the back/forward slash issue. Is this not apparent with RoR?

Also, does anyone have any links/resources regarding moving a local copy of a RoR development to a ruby-able remote server? It seems that all tutorials are locally based, or they are based on developing remotely using SSH, which includes an entirely different set of syntax.

I hope I have been clear enough, and my apologies if this question is absolutely ridiculous. Thank you for any advice you can offer!

Last edited by na3s (2007-11-25 15:43:46)

Re: Newbi Question - Developed on Windows, but Destined for Unix

na3s;

I have deployed from Mac to a Windows Server and from an XP box back out to Unix.

I won't ever work on a Windows Box again for Rails development... but that's my choice smile

Ruby and Ruby on Rails is pretty good about this.  The only thing you need to really make sure about is that the gems you are using work on both unix and Windows.  If they work on Windows, they should most certainly work on Unix, with some notable exceptions like the Win32 kit.

The only other thing I would recommend in doing what you are doing is keep the same type of database server.  The migrations _should_ work and be independent, but I would recommend keeping both the same on Unix and Windows.

For example, you can connect to an MS SQLServer from a Windows box running RoR, but connecting to an MSSQLServer from Linux is hard and from BSD downright difficult.  Keep your dev and production databases either MySQL or Postgress and this should help out a bit.

If you want to run your early development via SQLite that is also OK.

If you are worried specifically about the / and \ problems, Ruby's File and IO classes handle this seemlessly, just use "/" everywhere and you will be safe.

Anyway, hope that helps.

Mikel

Last edited by Mikel Lindsaar (2007-11-26 08:52:16)