Re: Macbook or Macbook Pro ?

Google for: ubuntu gutsy gibbon desktop VMware image

I suspect that the VM will puke all over compiz and the desktop effects so don't turn those on. Aside from that Ubuntu in a VM will be as easy as Ubuntu as a full OS. Have fun!

But if your prime applications are textmate, the shell and a browser, then you should ask yourself if you really need 2GB of memory, extra VRAM and all the whistles and bells.

Yes, yes I do need them. It's all about the image wink

(oh and the 17" hi-res screen helps a lot when u like to multitask)

LOL! More power to ya then. I found the 17" a bit unweildy, but then again I do find myself on the road quite often

I was in the car today using it while driving (obviously, I wasn't actually the one driving - that would be mental) and it was surprisingly easy to use and I managed to finish off a significant part of my latest rails project in 30 minutes. smile

Now thats what I call rapid development!

It's a relatively small project but still... wink

pimpmaster wrote:

Now thats what I call rapid development!

So if he was coding in Ruby on Rails while riding a train...

I can't handle the existentialism... wink

Josh Catone helps run this place
Rails Forum - Rails Jobs

For those of us without a massively pointless vocab collection... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Existentialism wink

Pro!! I have a pro so does my dad, love um. My brother and best friend bought mac books both wished they would have sprung for the pro. Not that the mac book is all that bad. Just there are a lot of reasons to get the pro, non-integrated graphics card more screen real estate(proven increase in productivity) and noticable differeance in performance.  Plus going with the pro will keep you in the green for years. I swaped out my laptop from 03 this march for a pro and it was still usable.  If your gonna be doing any serious computing bet ya a dollar you'll wish you went with the pro.

Last edited by hexaplus (2007-12-11 00:42:18)

There are rumors about a new 13" Macbook Pro with a SSD instead of an electromechanical Harddisk. This might be handy for rails.

Maybe I'll just wait until February.

I've had a MacBook for sometime and I'm very much happy with it. I do everything on it, and the 13" is certainly manageable.. That said, when I bought it I had a powerhouse desktop and a 22" monitor and didn't plan on using my MB as my primary machine, and if I was buying today I'd go for the Pro.

15" would be a nice extra bit of breathing room and I do find the on-board graphics limiting. I'd like to be able to multitask a little more (play tiger woods '08) and I'm not so much a fan of the glossy screen.

But at the end of the day the MacBook is an excellent compromise, though we'll just have to see what's new next year.

go buy a dell

I am currently lusting after an Asus EEE PC.

Perfect for carting around to client presentations and meetings. I always get a bit nervous about dragging my $3000 MacBook Pro around the place, and knowing that the more you carry the more likely it is to fail ...

Last edited by tobyhede (2007-12-22 19:47:38)

Toby Hede
===================================================
FiniteStateMachine - Software Development for Social Networks
===================================================

Macbook Pro is probably the best laptop you can buy. I am saving up for the 17" model when I get my first paycheck from my new job smile

Woyzeck has the same opinion as me as far a RoR on windows. If I had more experience with Linux that would be a viable alternative, since I don't it's not.

There are some excellent video tutorials out there and their all on OS X. The videos are bloody hard to follow on windows (especially the command line parts).

I need to get a MacBook ASAP tongue

As a temporary solution I switched to Ubuntu, which works quite good. I'm surprised how fast RoR can be. Besides the usual Linux-notebook-quirks it still lacks a good RoR-editor, but I am used to Netbeans.

I'm still using a 867 12" powerbook. But I've upgraded to 1.1 gb ram and a 100gb hdd. It wouldn't be so suitable if I didn't use an external display though.

For my next one I'll probably get a macbook and a 20 or 23 inch display to go with it.

I think I might try net beans on windows for the time being.

Wolf Parade wrote:

I think I might try net beans on windows for the time being.

I strongly recommend leaving Windows for RoR development. It's very slow as compared to a *nix-based workstation.
Starting script/console for my application took about 10 seconds under Windows, while on Ubuntu it's about 2 seconds. The same applies to all rake tasks.
Running autotest in the background was quite impossible under Windows.