Topic: Rails IDE in Rails

I've just begun working with rails, and I'm surprised that there seems to be no generally available IDE written in rails. I'm certainly not proficient enough yet to write something like that, but I'd like to write one were I ever to get that good.

Does anyone know of any work on something like this?

Re: Rails IDE in Rails

TheSuit wrote:

I've just begun working with rails, and I'm surprised that there seems to be no generally available IDE written in rails. I'm certainly not proficient enough yet to write something like that, but I'd like to write one were I ever to get that good.

Does anyone know of any work on something like this?

TheSuit,
Correction: You've just begun working with Ruby (on top of a web-framework called 'Rails'). Ruby is the language. Rails is not the language, it's the framework, or if you want to call it a language -- Rails is only a subset of the Ruby language.

There are plenty of IDEs written in Ruby - for Ruby. There are plenty of IDEs written in other languages -- for Ruby. There are plenty of IDEs that have extensions written to make your work easier on rails, not just Ruby. Take your pick.

It's just that writing an IDE in Ruby on top of rails would mean that your IDE would be written as a web application (and accessible through your web browser). Web Applications do not always make the best IDEs, but it's possible -- I've certainly seen it done.

For instance, the web framework Seaside written in Squeak (a dialect of Smalltalk) allows you to work on it remotely through your web browser as a web application (although, it also allows you to work on it locally in its native Squeak (Smalltalk) Windowing system and native IDE -- which is still far the better development environment than its web IDE).

Thought, having both those options is nice. For instance, if you're at a clients office, or in computer lab in a University, or at a family gathering on someone else's other operating system, or if you're in the process of using your own rails web app and want to only fix a quick thing without having to start yet another application -- therefore losing track of where you were, then being able to work through a web IDE (when you want to) certainly has its advantages.

On a side-note, as a Windows user -- my current IDE of choice is the RadRails plugin written in Java (I think) on top of Eclipse for Ruby on Rails.   

- spike
PS: Since I mentioned Seaside, I guess I should also mention DabbleDB -- which is a business/online application written by the same guy who wrote Seaside. DabbleDB is also really cool.

Last edited by quickspike (2007-12-31 19:02:59)

Re: Rails IDE in Rails

there's always www.heroku.com

still in beta, but its a full rails ide online that was built in rails. pretty impressive, probably not very practical for anything of real size, but still a fun thing to play with.