Topic: exceptions thrown outside of an action

So I have a rails that is working and I add a new Model and now I get the following error:

Application error

Change this error message for exceptions thrown outside of an action (like in Dispatcher setups or broken Ruby code) in public/500.html

Re: exceptions thrown outside of an action

Check log/development.log and log/mongrel.log (if you're running Mongrel).

So, is there a way to turn off the friendly error messages? I had to run edge rails for a plugin I am using, and I don't want to have to look in the log for the errors. I have looked all over the place for an answer to this. I am admittedly fairly new to Rails, but have been programming for years.

What do you mean by friendly error messages? The error message that shows up when an exception occurs? You can override the local_request? method in ApplicationController to always return false. This should turn off the friendly error messages (maybe only in production though).

# in ApplicationController
def local_request?
  false
end

Railscasts - Free Ruby on Rails Screencasts

I actually want the detailed error messages in development. I am currently getting the 500.html (I am on Edge Rails).

I figured out that it has something to do with the fact that I am using a custom host file to use domains such as subdomain.localhost.com to test functionality that requires the subdomain. I checked the local_request? method and found that it was using the IP address and not the hostname, but it only happens on the pages w/ a subdomain other than nil or www.

I will try defining it to alway return true in development.

Thanks!

You're getting just the Application Error because that's what happens when in Production mode.

I alleviated this problem by editing my application.rb file and adding in the detailed error message in an HTML comment, like so:

application.rb

def rescue_action_in_public(exception)
    render :text => "<html><body><p>
        There was a global error processing your request.</p>
        <!--  #{exception}  --></body></html>"
end

def local_request?
    false
end