Topic: Adding recurring billing to ActiveMerchant

I think I'm going to go with Braintree for my gateway and merchant account and I need to do recurring billing.
I just added an 'sku' parameter to the options hash in ActiveMerchant as per this article and the tests I've run against their site seem to be working fine. I just wanted to check to see if anyone was doing this and if it is indeed that simple.

Re: Adding recurring billing to ActiveMerchant

I am new to RoR and was considering Authorize.Net for recurring billing.  Your posting has prompted me to consider BrainTree for recurring billing for a site I am building.   I am not familiar with what you are doing.  But it does seem to be that simple.

We are using Authorize.net, ActiveMerchant, and Recurring Billing.
The process works very easily... However, I haven't figured out a way to retrieve the status of a subscription. And that is one feature I'd like.
But, for basic subscription creating, canceling, and updating, it's fairly easy.

Lake,

Can you give any links to documentation or tutorials on doing ARB with ActiveMerchant?
I've decided to use Authorize.net

Eight,

What was the deciding factor(s) that prompted you to go with Authorize.Net vs BrainTree?

Here are some ActiveMerchant resources I have found
http://peepcode.com/products/activemerchant-pdf
http://rubyplus.org
68  Rails with Active Merchant Authorize Net CIM Gateway
65 ActiveMerchant with Authorize.net in Rails Part 2
62 ActiveMerchant with Authorize.net in Rails

I discovered that my client already has an account with them and that ActiveMerchant didn't have support for Braintree's recurring billing but does for Authorize.net.
I have that peepcode pdf and it's ok but I really wish it got into recurring billing.  I'm checking out those screencasts now.  Thanks

Hey eight,
if you need some examples, I can definitely give you some real code.

ldenman at gmail dot com

Take a look at the SaaS Rails Kit at http://railskits.com/recurring_billing ... it has recurring billing support for both Authorize.net and Braintree, and it does the billing on-demand.  This allows you to know immediately if a charge failed and to do something about it.

BrainTree seems good but they deny many apps.  You supposedly need $1M in sales or something to this effect, it's a bit unclear but button line, in my experience it's been very difficult to get approved for their service.  It also has steep signup fees.

My blog: www.StartBreakingFree.com
My first rails app: www.UniversityTutor.com
My second rails app: www.BuyersVote.com

For the record, I am working with Braintree and it does not seem like they have a high $$$ sales requirement anymore.  Also, they must have reduced their sign-up fees because they have seemed competitive to me so far.

I'm so abstract that automatic doors at grocery stores do not even open for me. - @thatdankent