Topic: Silly question... but how much coding does one actually do with RoR?

It seems like everything can be generated. Does one actually have to write any code or is there always some way to generate it? I'm proficient in Java and have used PHP in the past, so this is just a tad odd.

Re: Silly question... but how much coding does one actually do with RoR?

The generators serve only as bootstraps, a rough scaffold to cover your basic CRUD operations. A lot of noobs get tripped up by this in the beginning, mistakenly believing that scaffolding is all there is to Rails.

I rarely use the generators thanks to plugins like resourceful_controller, where you get all the RESTful actions for free in one line of code (all the actions are still tweakable too)

The only generator I really use is one I wrote myself to write my views the way I like them (in HAML with all the helpers I've written)

I too have dabbled in PHP (and Java before running away screaming) and I can tell you, the joy of rails is not in the generators, its the expressiveness and conciseness of Ruby.. so to answer your question:

You do quite a bit of coding in RoR, but significantly less than you need to in other frameworks.

I would say you code about 11.

Toby Hede
===================================================
FiniteStateMachine - Software Development for Social Networks

But seriously, I am an ex-java and PHP developer. It's Ruby that I love, in many ways, not Rails.

The elegance of Rails is a direct result of the elegance of Ruby.

Most of the plumbing stuff is provided by Rails using Generators or Plugins. But your business logic will nearly always require actual code.

Toby Hede
FiniteStateMachine - Software Development for Social Networks

nearly always

Do you have some sort of psychic generator plugin? wink

You'll always need to code something. Rails is a framework, not Frontpage smile

Alright, thanks everyone.

This is just so much different from anything else I've ever done with programming, it's a bit hard to wrap my head around, but I guess it'll come in time. My big project over the summer is going to be making a message board with Rails.