Topic: Trouble with InstantRails Setup

First, I am already running an Apache server and Mysql server for my php applications and I need to keep these active while I learn RoR.  I downloaded the latest versions of Ruby and InstantRails and installed them as per the directions.  I turned off my other servers and it worked as expected - I was able to connect to the two included apps.  I made a few configuration changes and that is where things started to go wrong - I couldn't access the sample apps.  Tried various solutions but never had real success. So I need some step-by-step help to get me going if anyone is up to the task.

The first thing I need to do is get the InstantRails servers working on ports other than the 80 for Apache and 3306 for mysql and do any other configuration to instant rails. I am quite happy to use webrick for all the development but setting up Apache and Mysql on different ports is useful for the future.  I should also setup subversion to keep current so I don't have to relearn these processes in the future.

Second is to get mysql setup with a root password (I do need one of these don't I) and a user password that I can use on the apps. Then setup the apps to work with the new password. I believe this is where my problems started in the first place.

Finally, I want to create a new app to follow the agile rails development book.  This and other tutorial apps will be run off line.

Last edited by ricklach (2007-01-02 17:27:04)

Re: Trouble with InstantRails Setup

I am trying to do the same thing and follow the book. I am just having trouble with rake rails:freeze:edge becasue rails doesn't recognize subversion. Any help?

Founder of the Open Education Software Foundation (oeducate.org). PHP migrator swimming across the PHP straits to get to the promise rails. (im cuban it was the only thing i could think of >.<)