Topic: Problem with mongrel_cluster

I'm trying to follow Coda Hale's Apache, Mongrel and Capistrano installation guide to deploy my app to a public/beta server.

However I'm bumping into a problem at a rather early stage:

[karse:~] nielsene% mongrel_rails cluster::configure -e production -p 8000 -a 127.0.0.1 -N 3 -c /Users/nielsene/ruby-work/compinabox
!!! Path to config file not valid: config/mongrel_cluster.yml
cluster::configure reported an error. Use mongrel_rails cluster::configure -h to get help.

The path listed after the -c is correct.  I don't understand why its unable to find the path to the config file to create it, etc.  I assume I'm missing something trivial, but I can't see it....

Thanks...

My RoR journey  -- thoughts on learning RoR and lessons learned in applying TDD and agile practices.

Re: Problem with mongrel_cluster

Try the command with 'sudo' or with an account that has the correct rights.

Mongrel Cluster Setup
With mongrel working and our webapp directory prepared we can proceed with the mongrel_cluster configuration step:

$ sudo mongrel_rails cluster::configure -e production \
    -p 8000 -N 3 -c /var/www/apps/testapp -a 127.0.0.1 \
    --user mongrel --group mongrel

This will write a configuration file in config/mongrel_cluster.yml.

Src  = http://mongrel.rubyforge.org/docs/mongrel_cluster.html

The account I'm running as does have the correct rights.  I also tried using sudo, but the same error message appears.

Hmm, one place I;m getting confused now..  Both sets of directions said to run this command on the workstation not the server, and that's what I've been doing.  Is this correct?  the -c, --user, and --group options, are these server-side or workstation-side?

My RoR journey  -- thoughts on learning RoR and lessons learned in applying TDD and agile practices.

I had the same problem, what helped in my case was moving up one node in the directory tree.
The tutorial tells you to issue the command from within .../myrailsapp/config directory. Instead, try from .../myrailsapp

Good Luck!

Last edited by ferromag (2007-05-26 01:48:36)