Topic: Introduce yourself!

We've got some non-admins registered, so why don't you guys tell us a little about yourselves?

I'll start:

Name: Vinnie Garcia
What brought you to Rails Forum? I helped get it up and running smile
How do you use Ruby/Ruby on Rails? Some freelance projects and internal organization/productivity-type apps for myself. I use JSP/servlets at work and we're kind of tied to that unfortunately.

Feel free to use the same format as above or to change it, whatever smile

vinnie - rails forum admin

Re: Introduce yourself!

Name: Kelli Shaver
What brought you to Rails Forum? I just can't turn down a good opportunity to skin PunBB.
How do you use Ruby/Ruby on Rails? I don't. I may well not. This place may inspire me to learn, who knows. I figure that even fi I don't, though, I'll still hang around in the "Other Web Stuff" forums and maybe make myself useful.

Young Twig wrote:

How do you use Ruby/Ruby on Rails? I don't. I'm a PHP guy. I'd probably learn Ruby, but I hink it's ugly with its lack of brackets and whatnot. Who likes words in their code? sad

Who said there's no braces?

before_save { |pg| 
pg.content_html = RedCloth.new(pg.content).to_html
}

Name: Josh Catone
What brought you to Rails Forum? I co-own it and junk. smile
How do you use Ruby/Ruby on Rails? Dude, I don't even know HTML (anymore).  *shifty eyes*
Thing you most recently did: Well, I just bought a DVD burner and I am currently watching the Yankees beat the Red Sox (sweet)--let's hope this trend continues.

Josh Catone helps run this place
Rails Forum - Rails Jobs

Name: Matt Hall
What brought you to Rails Forum? Vinnies Signature.
How do you use Ruby/Ruby on Rails? I don't... yet wink

Name: Alistair Bush
What brought you to Rails Forum? vin
How do you use Ruby/ Ruby on Rails?   Well... I used ruby within a OS paper at uni last year and ive picking up rails for a photography website now.  I am planning on continuing to use rails.

Name:  Shane
What brought you to Rails Forum? Looking for Rails info
How do you use Ruby/ Ruby on Rails?   Doing a couple of website with RoR, tired of ASP.NET. Unfortunately, I have been having some serious trouble deploying anything! On that note, would it be possible to get a "Deployment" forum going?

Shane,

The "Setting up Rails" forum is what we're currently using for deployment questions/issues, in addition to hosting and setup. We'll split that forum up into more specific issues if demand arises smile

And welcome aboard!

Name: Jelena
What brought you to Rails Forum? Need for learning smile
How do you use Ruby/Ruby on Rails? I don't actually, but I'm willing to learn as me and a friend of mine would like to develop our future big thing wink using Ruby on Rails.

Name: Aaron Cooke
What brought you to Rails Forum? Josh's post on GFXContests
How do you use Ruby/Ruby on Rails? I don't yet but I have my plans!
Apart from being a part time lazy son of a gun, what else do you do? Web Design, BMX, Dream of having a better computer!

Name: Nick
What brought you to Rails Forum? To integrate rails into my life.
How do you use Ruby/Ruby on Rails? At the moment I am going through the tutorial stages, I already have ideas for web applications, and I'm wanting to learn RoR to help me develop them.

Name: Brandon
What brought you to Rails Forum? Link from SitePoint wink
How do you use Ruby/Ruby on Rails? Right now I am trying to learn so that I will better manage the software projects we're currently working on. I have a programmer that's developing for me, but having an understanding about the language and framework is neccessary for what I am doing as well.

Site looks great - I've been searching for a good Rails community. Hopefully membership will pick up and we can get some good discussions going!

Name: Leif
What brought you to Rails Forum? Lessee, I followed the links from www.cssbasics.com to Vinnie's IBeBloggin and saw his post about this forum (and I just picked up some Ruby books yesterday, spooky)
How do you use Ruby/Ruby on Rails? Right now I've just started learning it (and at the same time, power hosing the grime off of my X/HTML, CSS, and JavaScript skills). So I'm curious to see what I can do with Ruby/RoR.

Name: Ryan Bates
What brought you to Rails Forum? Some blog post I think.
How do you use Ruby/Ruby on Rails? I created a kiosk application just to test out the waters. I loved it so much that I am now building an administration system to handle our in-office invoicing. I also hope to rebuild the main site sometime with it (currently in PHP and a nightmare to maintain due to so much duplicate code).
Words of advice: If you want to seriously get into Rails/Ruby, get the Pragmatic Programmer books. They are worth the investment (get the 2nd edition of the Rails book, although it's currently in beta). Also, if you are familiar with other languages, don't be put off by Ruby's strange syntax. When I first started looking into Rails, I gave up partly because the syntax was so different from what I was used to (C and PHP). But, the more I work with it, the more I love it. It is much more powerful than I initially thought,

Last edited by ryanb (2006-06-15 12:49:11)

Railscasts - Free Ruby on Rails Screencasts

Name: J. Danger Stevens
What brought you to Rails Forum? There was a link from RubyInside.com
Background: I've been a php/mysql guy for a few years and I didn't want to miss out on the 'next big thing'.
How do you use Ruby/Rails? I'm using it to build MultiPartySystem for myself and a handful of other sites for clients.  I see this as my full-time thing for years to come because Rails is SO POWERFUL at developing applications quickly and deploying them easily.  Rails is perfect for a lazy programmer like me.

Name: Evan Weaver
What brought you to Rails Forum? http://del.icio.us
Background:  MS in Computer Science; see my website for a bit more.
How do you use Ruby/Rails?  I use Ruby and Ruby on Rails in the bioinformatics and social networking domains (not necessarily both at once).

Glad I could snag this username before anyone else.

Name: Ben Kittrell
What brought you to Rails Forum? looking for a rails forum on google
Background:  Lotsa web stuff, mostly java, and recently rails more
How do you use Ruby/Rails?   I'm starting a web solutions business, rails is our main platform.

BTW, I just started a blog, and I'll be posting about rails and other stuffs.

Garbage Burrito

Name: Bill Bengtson
Occupation Web Developer... rookie
What brought you to Rails Forum? I already forget... it wasn't someone directly... either a link or a search.
Background: I originally have an Associate Degree in Computer Networking, did a job at an ISP for Tech Support, then went on to a Help Desk job for the Corporation that I currently work for. After 2 1/2 hellish years of support work, I finally got out of that & went into our Web Department as a "Content" guy... being responsible for the content on our sites... but not doing any development work. But now I have begun to do development such as xhtml, css & jsp some... After we created our corporate sites with Ruby on Rails & the guy who lead that charge left for a better job opportunity... I was given the chance to become responsible for the 2 sites that are on RoR. So I might be in a little over my head, but I'm going for it... I've left the Networking behind & I'm pursuing my life as a Web Developer now.
When not "playing" on the computer... I'm an avid motorcycle fan... dirt bikes & sport bikes. Depending on the individual day, I'm either a computer geek that likes to ride bikes, or a dirt biker who likes to play on computers...
How do you use Ruby/Rails? Currently supporting 2 existing Corporate RoR sites... as I develop my skills, I hope to start developing these sites further then they are. Also, my personal site is a RoR site as well.

Name: Eric Nielsen
What brought you to Rails Forum? Links from various blogs, searching for an active RoR forum to avoid cluttering the main mailing list with questions better suited for a forum environment
How do you use Ruby/Ruby on Rails? Projects at both work and home.  Home project is porting a large, self-developed PHP app

My RoR journey  -- thoughts on learning RoR and lessons learned in applying TDD and agile practices.

Name: Jake Price
Occupation: Web Designer/Developer for a company called Vivento http://www.webdesigners-online.co.uk/vivento/index.html

What brought you to Rails Forum?
Found a link over @ http://www.ruby-forum.com/forum/

How do you use Ruby/Ruby on Rails?
Right now, im just getting into it, im developing a couple of apps to, looking into doing a rails forum to.

Last edited by Jake (2006-06-18 15:39:44)