Re: Introduce yourself!

Hello =)

Name: Mary Rodriguez
Occupation: Graphic Designer currently doing a Masters degree in Digital Media
What brought you to Rails Forum?: I want to learn to develop in Rails and I listened to a podcast that mentioned this link
How do you use Ruby/Ruby on Rails?: I'm planning to develop a web application for my thesis.

Although I live in Portugal, I'm originally from Caracas, Venezuela.

Hello everyone!

deepa
Ruby On Rails developer

want to konw more about rails ..

Last edited by deepad87 (2010-09-30 06:54:48)

Hi everyone.  Olympia Washington checking in.  My name is Jerry and I am CEO of a Northwest advertising and marketing agency.  I've been involved on some development teams over the years and have been part of several startups.

Working on my own project of which I am the PM, and so I'm sniffing around trying to determine the preferred technology platform to use.  (I'm not a dev)

Name: Bragaadeesh
What brought you to Rails Forum? I am starting my career fresh on Ruby on Rails
How do you use Ruby/Ruby on Rails? I have not used it extensively yet, but my work demands me. So I am trying to move from an amateur to professional in it.

Name: inman james
What brought you to Rails Forum? i search by google.
How do you use Ruby/Ruby on Rails? I have no idea about Ruby.

Name: Adam
What brought you to Rails Forum?  Looking for a good source and help on ruby info.
How do you use Ruby/Ruby on Rails?  For learning purposes right now. Would like to learn a lot more about it.

Huxley here.
Been lurking since march, mailing list.
Consider myself intermediate.
Want to be part of ruby more so does anyone want to join me in railsrumble?

laters

Hi, I am Annibelle from Florida, this is my first visit in this forum. Actually I need help. I love action movie, but it’s very problematic to go to shop and hire CD or DVD every time. Can you please tell me, from which site I can download movie in free???
I know, this is totally off-topic, but I really need help.

Name: Mike Reeves
Occupation: Freelance Software Engineer, and Systems Administrator
What brought you to Rails Forum? New found interest in rails, and was just looking for some info.
How do you use Ruby/Ruby on Rails? Currently, just learning. I've got plans for some open source projects, and migrating some of my existing PHP applications.

Name: lintika oplonk
What brought you to Rails Forum? Links from various blogs, searching for an active RoR forum to avoid cluttering the main mailing list with questions better suited for a forum environment
How do you use Ruby/Ruby on Rails? Projects at both work and home.  Home project is porting a large, self-developed PHP app

Last edited by tika33 (2010-09-17 08:52:39)

Hi i am new here . i like this forum .i reffer my friend too.

Name: Matteo Latini
What brought you to Rails Forum? After some time spent in the tower of solitude studying rails, I'm now feeling an urge to share some thoughts with other developers.
How do you use Ruby/Ruby on Rails? I mainly use RoR at work and in the spare time I play around with BDD.

Name: Vinnie Ciaravino
What brought you to Rails Forum? Just getting into Rails and always look for some forums whenever I get into something new - best thing since sliced bread! So far the Rails community looks great!
How do you use Ruby/Ruby on Rails? For making simple stuff at the moment, better stuff on the way.

Being that my name is Vinnie, family and friends call me Vin. That's usually what I go by in forum stuff and everything, and usually that name isn't taken. I got here and tried it and it said it was taken sad. So, still upset, I picked another name...

First name I see: vin

Last edited by MOLTEN (2010-12-02 08:36:21)

Name: Don Mapp
Occupation: Retired owner of donsgarden.co.uk and donspace.co.uk written in ROR
What brought you to Rails Forum? ROR is massive yet easy and fun, but cant know it all. Needed help as the ROR documentation is CRAP for newbies, can't even do a search  with very few examples just the basics and most ROR experts just love talking in an existentialist language. Googled it.
How do you use Ruby/Ruby on Rails? Improving my websites. ROR is great, love it, for quickly getting prototype w/site up and running with minimal code and makes programming fun again. Remember the days of the ZXSpextrum, PC, Atari, Commadore, BBC etc coding was simpler and fun. I get that feeling again with ROR.

Name: Florian Dutey
What brought you to Rails Forum? Was looking for help for general information about AR (has_many :through over has_many :through) and plugins to create my own forum engine in rails without rewriting wheel over again, found a topic about AR issue on this forum, feel obliged to answer, and didn't find answer of my question about has_many tongue
How do you use Ruby/Ruby on Rails? For the moment, only for personal projects. Used to work 3 years with RoR in Paris, but moved in Lyon and there's no RoR company in France elsewhere than in Paris. So actually, working in Java during day, and working on a RoR forum engine the night ^^.

During my 3 years experience, I was working essentially on one big application to manage ski shop's stocks from sale / rent to stock management and accountancy. Application was originaly written in rails 1.2.3, without any unit testing, all code in controller, poor database schema. I rewrote it from scratch in rails 2.3. Had to deal with many scalability issues (complex database associations with lot of STI, very hard to eager load etc...) so, i've been thinking my experience could interest some people there.
Hope I will be helpfull, and hope I will learn some tricks from rails 3.0 here.

Excuse my poor english, i'm french after all ^^.

Name: Giang, Nguyen Duc
Occupation: fulltime freelancer, was developer for FPT Software before.
What brought you to Rails Forum? 2 years ago, was doing a Google search about Rails
How do you use Ruby/Ruby on Rails? for my freelance work.
Words of advice: should learn Ruby first, then Rails, read the newest version of Agile web development with Rails (it's now 4th edition), have a look at http://railscasts.com

Last edited by ndgiang84 (2011-04-26 11:32:03)

Giang, Nguyen Duc
Email: ndgiang84@gmail.com
Please recommend for me on WorkingWithRails if you find my post useful: http://workingwithrails.com/person/1849 … -duc-giang

Name: Ronald AngSiy

What brought you to Rails Forum? I'm a student with an entrepreneurial passion. I do not actually program RoR myself. Does that make me a forum troll? Hahahah. I'm looking for ways to find exerienced RoR programmers. I currently have 3 programmers at UC Berkeley working on my startup, but all of us are students so it's hard to find the time to do any substantial programming.

I have been a forum nerd my whole life (mainly on sports/academic/fantasy forums). Ergo, I have turned to here to look for help/advice/tips/leads smile

How do you use Ruby/Ruby on Rails? I don't? Please don't throw rancid stuff at me!!! sad

Name: Jose E
What brought you to Rails Forum? Google search, I think I'm a member of at least 7-9 programming forums out there since I was like age 21
How do you use Ruby/Ruby on Rails? personal projects. I wish to launch a freelance career using RoR, a friend of mine started like this a year ago, and eventually a customer hired him, and took him to bordeaux, france for an startup, He will be building a social network, oh, and by the way, he's considered by many, the best RoR programmer in ODesk, I basically want to work with RoR, which I really like, I hate software companies around here, except a couple out there, so I've been studying RoR for a month now.
Words of advice: (from the same aforementioned friend of mine): Learn RoR by doing apps that are similar to those that are required on the market.

Name: Michael Zelensky
What brought you to Rails Forum? Google search
How do you use Ruby/Ruby on Rails? Better to say 'trying to use' to make a web based intranet portal :)