Re: Introduce yourself!

Name: Louis Dizon
What brought you to Rails Forum? I want to learn more about Ruby on Rails
How do you use Ruby/Ruby on Rails?  Actually, I haven't used it yet. I am a beginner. Fresh from the bag.

Name: Mihai Anca
What brought you to Rails Forum? Found interesting responses, tutorials.
How do you use Ruby/Ruby on Rails?  I consider myself a bit more then a beginner. I use it for personal projects as well as starting into freelancing.

vin wrote:

We've got some non-admins registered, so why don't you guys tell us a little about yourselves?

Fair enough...

Name: Richard Harlos
Occupation: Software developer since 1987, almost exclusively xbase languages (dBase III+, Foxbase, Foxpro, Visual Foxpro), more recently doing technical consulting, business analysis, and most recently, a business-venture with a friend that I'm hoping will be developed in Rails!
What brought you to Rails Forum? I encountered an error after successfully installing InstantRails v2.0 on Vista Home, and during the execution of the scaffold command (just posted in the general forum today so if any of you reading this might be able to help, i'll appreciate it!)
How do you use Ruby/Ruby on Rails? Am learning it now, though I've known about it for many years and dabbled in Ruby on and off since v1.4 (I think?). Now, I'm thinkin' it's time to use it in a big way so... it's ON! smile

Glad to have found this forum, and I'm looking forward to meeting many of you! Good day, ta ta, and all the rest! wink

Name: Norm Scherer

Age: Old enough that my first Unix system was a pdp-11 running PWB if you have ever heard of that.  My first computer language was FORTRAN IV and my first computer was a Z80/CPM machine.

Location:  Anywhere in the US or Canada (except Hawaii).  I live and travel in a motorhome and can be found most anyplace that the climate is reasonable.  I am now in California and last summer I spent in Alaska.

What brought you to the ROR Forum: I was just looking for information on ROR and this seemed a good spot.

How do you use ROR:  I am presently writing a ROR application for the management of campgrounds.  It is called Open-Campground and is available on Ruby Forge.  It has had some beta releases and should be ready for production use within the next month or so.  It is released under the GPL

Name: Archie Smuts
What brought you to Rails Forum? The need to learn about Ruby and Rails as fast as possible
How do you use Ruby/Ruby on Rails? Its a hobby but my goal is to design a FREE Student information system aimed at motivating students to improve their grades

Name: Bule
What brought you to Rails Forum: Google.
How do you use Ruby/Ruby on Rails: I see it as a very cool and fresh platform ideal for a medium web app I need to develop in less than a month time frame. I've never used Ruby nor Rails, so this shall be a nice quest/experience for me. With your help if I'm stuck, I hope. wink

Name: Karen W.
What brought you to Rails Forum? I have a friend who has always served as my programming mentor.  When I taught myself how to program back in 1998, he guided me on the basics and has followed my career ever since.  When I mentioned that I just got a new job with a start up and I wanted to recode their website (it's currently running on PHP/MYSQL, he suggested that I look into recoding the whole thing on RoR.  SoI've purchased the Agile Web Dev with Rails and using the Hackety HAck tutorial program.  Any other books (esp for converting PHP code to RoR) on the subject are welcome suggestions.

I'll probably be a regular visitor here now.

kwindus wrote:

Name: Karen W.
Any other books (esp for converting PHP code to RoR) on the subject are welcome suggestions.

I'll probably be a regular visitor here now.

Rails for PHP Developers http://www.pragprog.com/titles/ndphpr is probably a good bet.

To Rails Forum: Google link looking for a programming solution
Use Rails for: Our work develops RoR projects and a goodness of my heart project I ported from PHP when I was first learning RoR.

Rails rocks.

hey folks
I'm Yorkie-T
Age 28
aka Lee
I'm from Yorkshire (UK)
and have recently started developing in Ruby on Rails I am still very new to it but am enjoying working in RoR immensely,

I look forward to using this forum as a tool to assist my learning further smile

Last edited by yorkie-t (2008-04-17 12:24:33)

Name: Housni Y
Occupation: Web Developer/Linux Admin (freelancing at the moment, though)
What brought you to Rails Forum? I think it was rynab's railscasts.com. I don't remember hmm
How do you use Ruby/Ruby on Rails? I just started learning this month (May 2008) but I might work on a small freelance project for it real soon. I was heavily involved with developing in PHP for the last 5 years or so but I haven't touched it since the end of last year. Been working heavily with Linux for the last two years or so. Looking forward to becoming a ROR freak smile

Name: Andr

Name: Clarence Hill
What brought you to Rails Forum?  google.
How do you use Ruby/Ruby on Rails? Internal organization/productivity-type apps.

Name: Steve
What brought you to Rails Forum? Looking for strategy for learning webdev.
I plan to use Rails to develop a database based web application to support a business idea.

Figured I haven't done this yet, so here it goes..

Name: andy thompson
What brought you to Rails Forum? Interest in Rails, looking for a collective group to help me. Google search.
How do you use Ruby/Ruby on Rails? learning OOP, potiental future, fun, shrug

Last edited by unsider (2008-06-16 01:03:21)

Convientional morality is a sign of slavery.

Name: Ollie Saunders
What brought me to Rails Forum: My feet, oh wait no, Google smile
Background: This sums it up really.
How do you use Ruby/Ruby on Rails: Only recently started with Rails but I've been fiddling with Ruby for a little while. I plan to write some web apps and contribute to some OSS projects.

Last edited by Ollie Saunders (2008-07-14 00:48:36)

Name: Paul Lancaster
What brought me to Rails Forum: Google search for Ruby on Rails forums.
How do you use Ruby/Ruby on Rails: I don't yet, but I have some ideas that I can't accomplish without learning something new. So this is my something new.

Name: Mohan Kumar
What brought me to Rails Forum: Google search for Ruby on Rails forums.
How do you use Ruby/Ruby on Rails: I am working on Ruby on Rails for past 2.5 years and worked in 4 challenging projects.

Name:        Oroku Saki

I'm a web developer. Most of my programming is done on an API built on Java utilizing Velocity (something far beyond what most people on here will ever have the opportunity to use).

I'm a huge fan of MVC architecture - not for creating sites, or even applications that end users will see, but as a way to create my own higher level application data API.

I used to be a huge fan of CodeIgniter. It's like Rails for PHP minus:

[lots of garbage, expensive hosting, cocky attitudes spawned by low egos and frustration, lots of restrictions]

Now I hate PHP so much that I can't even look at CodeIgniter. So I've moved on to better things. My new conquest was to find a new language - one that is object oriented, runs much quicker, and is much cleaner to read.

I finally decided on Python. I did a great deal of research and learned that Python is about 4 times faster than Ruby, 8 times faster than PHP, and nearly as fast as Java at about half the speed as C. I've already dived into Python, but for the sake of keeping my mind open, I wanted to hear some rants first. Why should I abandon Python for Ruby (Not Rails, but Ruby itself because Django blows Rails out of the water), and I know that this is a great place to find Ruby evangelists.

Name: Daniel Erickson
What brought you to Rails Forum? I was searching all over the web for a solution to a rails problem, marsvin finally helped me out- so I decided to stay.
How do you use Ruby/Ruby on Rails? I just started using RoR. But I have some pretty big plans for it. Right now I'm working on a Client/Invoice management app, but if you want more up to date info you can always check out my blog

Name: Ozgun Koyun
My Website: http://kozgun.net
Background: PHP, Linux server administration (~5 years, i guess...)
What brought you to Rails Forum? Cool tutorials and I can find easily what I'm looking for.
How do you use Ruby/Ruby on Rails? I use Ruby on Rails with my freelance and personal projects.