Topic: New rails app

I have launched my first rails app http://acocktail.com/.

It is on a 512 slice at Slicehost. I am running 3 mongrels.

The information on this forum has been a great help.

Jeff

Re: New rails app

looks nice

Congratulations on the launch. Looking good.

Do you have a list of plugins/gems and other dependencies? I'm always interested in hearing what new apps are running on, e.g. how are you doing your caching? Also (last question, I promise!), have you looked at turning the main logo in to a h1 (A Cocktail) & h2 (One Drink, Endless Possibilities) and using CSS img replacement? That could work wonders for semantics.

Neil

Eric_Jardas wrote:

looks nice

Thanks smile

Neil wrote:

Congratulations on the launch. Looking good.

Thanks smile

Do you have a list of plugins/gems and other dependencies?

Some of the plugins I used are: geokit, YM4R/Mapstraction, grids_helper, resource_fu, attachment_fu, responds_to_parent, acts_as_rated, fckeditor, permalink_fu, and fu-fu.

Some of the gems used are: mislav-will_paginate, image_science, and capistrano.

how are you doing your caching?

I am using mostly fragment caching and would like to move to memcached when I have more memory available.

The app seems memory hungry, the mongrels seem to hover around 110-120mb per instance.

have you looked at turning the main logo in to a h1 (A Cocktail) & h2 (One Drink, Endless Possibilities) and using CSS img replacement?

I would like to do this, I like my sites to be xhtml valid strict and semantic as possible. I had a lot of trouble with IE 6 for the current implementation.

Jeff

Thanks for the insights. Yes, IE6 is rather troublesome. You do need to know how it acts with regards to hasLayout. Once you know that, it gets much easier.

I'm about to get in to fragment caching (probably just straight to memcached) on an app in private beta testing on a engine yard slice (three mongrels, all hovering around 97mb right now - so says New Relic).

How has the traffic been?

Not much traffic at the moment.

I am also using New Relic RPM (free version) on production and http://www.fiveruns.com/products/tuneup in development.

Jeff

Have you considered switching out mongrel? Take a look at Thin and see if it might benefit you. I think SliceHost also has some good articles on setting up thin on a slice.

I'm a Phoenix Ruby on Rails developer and startup junkie kicking ass at Flatterline, a Ruby on Rails web application development company.