Topic: Tutorial forum?

If we had forum specifically for aggregating Ruby on Rails tutorials, would anyone be interested in contributing?  I'm talking more about actually writing original tuturials as opposed to linking to tutorials out there on the web.

This would be akin to Photoshop forums that often have an area dedicated for people to submit tutorials.

I realize it's a lot to ask of people here, but we've attracted such an awesome bunch of people, I thought I'd throw it out there.  smile

Josh Catone helps run this place
Rails Forum - Rails Jobs

Re: Tutorial forum?

I think its a great idea.  I'ld try to contribute some on testing, but no promises...

My RoR journey  -- thoughts on learning RoR and lessons learned in applying TDD and agile practices.

Would it be almost like our own Rails Recipes? I'm willing to contribute if I can think of something to write about.

Railscasts - Free Ruby on Rails Screencasts

Cool, I'll chat about it with Vinnie and Kelli and see if we can get something set up this weekend.

I think a forum like that might also bring more links and visitors (alterior motive altert wink) and help grow the community--which will be a good thing for everyone.

Plus, it'll act as a repository of good info where we can quickly send people asking redundant questions. smile

Rails Forum - Rails Jobs

Josh wrote:

I think a forum like that might also bring more links and visitors (alterior motive altert wink) and help grow the community--which will be a good thing for everyone.

I agree. . .  Its what I think helped one of the other programming communities I was a member of for a long time.  Their collection of tutorials, at the time they launched, was basically unmatched.

And it also helps cut down on a lot of the FAQs in the other forums.

My RoR journey  -- thoughts on learning RoR and lessons learned in applying TDD and agile practices.

I'd be willing to add tutorials. Maybe add various "degrees" categories (beginners, advanced, etc..)

Last edited by Reedy (2006-07-27 16:46:40)

Most code examples are usually pulled out of the air and not tested. Use at your own risk!

Reedy: I think if we build up a large enough catalog, some categorization would be a good idea.  But to start, I'd like to avoid category soup--nothing worse than empty forums. smile

On a semi-related note:  When I registered railsforum.com last year, I also snagged railscode.com -- the idea was for a snippets site to act as a companion to this one.  Does the prospect of a site like that interest anyone?  I could email Peter Cooper about maybe using his beautiful Snippets code.  (Though I know Snippets covers RoR pretty well already...) Thoughts?

Rails Forum - Rails Jobs

Like you said, empty forums would be bad, but if people are interested, I'm all for it. It would be great to see mroe good rails tutorials make their way into existance.

I've basically been trying to do this very thing on one of my blogs (6brand.com).  I'd love to have a more central place to also throw the code I come up with.  There's such a need for this - I'm sure we've all spent way too much time Googling for answers that just aren't there.

Here it is big_smile

Help fill it up!

vinnie - rails forum admin