Re: Choosing a host

A bit late to this thread, but I would also recommend Rails Playground if you're looking for a rails-capable host on the cheap.  They have a $5/month plan that uses Apache, but other more expensive plans that offer lighttpd.

They also offer a 30-day money back guarantee, and subversion and Trac hosting (just send in a ticket to get it activated).  Overall we have been happy and more than gotten our $5/month worth.   We have found their server to be more stable than Site5 and are considering getting a dedicated rails box with them in the future.

Last edited by Scotia King (2006-12-19 19:17:36)

there are some free hosts that offer PHP and RoR. For example http://www.110mb.com/ has a good one db plan. It may not be ideal but when your getting free hosting who can complain.

Its good if you just want to get one app online that you have been working on but cant afford hosting.

I use bluehost and I would recommend them. They are currently upgrading all their server. They have rails but no extra gems and you need to fax ur DL to get SSH. You can install subversion yourself (only as a client, not recommended as a server). Once u install subversion you can do rake rails:freeze edge.

They are quite cheap and have FCGI and all the essential things you need. They arent just "rails" which is a good thing. Most rails only sites only give you rails and nothing else and charge u a buttload of money. Like you were saying that their "introductory" plan is $5. Bluehost's standard shared plan (which is the only plan they offer) is quite good and only 1 buck more. They have a good "setting up Rails" article in the kb which you should read before starting.

They are also listed here: http://wiki.rubyonrails.org/rails/pages/RailsWebHosts

Last edited by aceofspades (2006-12-19 19:29:59)

Founder of the Open Education Software Foundation (oeducate.org). PHP migrator swimming across the PHP straits to get to the promise rails. (im cuban it was the only thing i could think of >.<)

FYI, 110mb.com is saying that registration is temporarily closed until December 22 or so.

I just want to put my two cents in and say I've been very happy with railsplayground.com. Excellent customer service. I was having some trouble with capistrano and SSH on their standard plan so they just immediately and without hesitation upped me to their guru plan.

Granted, upping me to guru was probably less headache than dealing with my problem smile But still, I've been very happy with them.

the thing is tortoise that for most people a regular host with RoR support will suffice. Unless you develop or run run a a massive large-scale website of massive proportions regular hosts will be fine. Most people don't develop off a remote server (unless you like only using a SSH text editor and not be able to use an IDE and waiting to upload everything every five seconds). So anyways what I'm saying is that although you, tortoise might need a dedicated rails plan, it would be overkill for most people and they won't be able to run regular programs like forums and have good email.

Rails is a GREAT framework but tat doesn't mean just because you like rails doesn't mean you are a "fraud" if you use PHP or CGI programs (lol like this forum). Every thing has it's strengths. Right now rails is mostly a solution for custom programming (like PHP was at first) and it only has 2 popular programs, mephisto and typo. Rails is by far the best framework for custom programming that is worthy of use in production servers (unlike the PHP frameworks which are at best good for playing around in and using for your own site).

It is quite evident that Rails is going somewhere. It has the same life cycle as PHP. It is just exploding as and people are just like, "OMG, so don't have to reinvent the wheel!"

Anyways on top of all this Rails is a great name and it sounds good when you say "lets put this project on rails" or board the rails. Can you say any thing cool like that with PHP or ASP. Even Perl and Ruby are good names.

Last edited by aceofspades (2006-12-19 22:34:22)

Founder of the Open Education Software Foundation (oeducate.org). PHP migrator swimming across the PHP straits to get to the promise rails. (im cuban it was the only thing i could think of >.<)

Late to the party I am but boy, Site5 has been a dud for me. I have been trying to reach sales to ask some questions before signing up for their $5/month deal but nada, never heard back from them since I left my phone number last week plus a follow up email yesterday. If this is the way they treat customer lbefore I sign up, I shudder to think what the service is like after I sign up. Also, Site5 is stuck in MySQL 4.x land with no clear timeline for migrating to MySQL 5, that's one of my major concern with Site5 and now the lack of response.

Oh well, I am leaning towards Dreamhost now, will see how they respond.

Last edited by bngu (2007-04-03 22:47:57)

JiggyMe
"Videos that Matter to You" powered by Ruby on Rails

I just signed up with Slicehost a couple weeks ago and have been extremely happy. I really beleive it is the way to go for Rails hosting because you get the benefits of a VPS for the price of a shared host (almost).

The only catch is you have to be comfortable setting up your own server. Although it is more difficult, it gives you a lot more flexibility because you aren't limited to what the host has installed and set up.

Oh yeah, check out Geoffrey Grosenbach's hosting guide.

Railscasts - Free Ruby on Rails Screencasts

+1 vote for Slicehost.

If you are not scared to get your hands dirty with Sysadmin stuff, that is. They offer great prices, decent speed and helpful folks on their IRC channel

I have a quick question:

If I have a few different sites, which are all very small, that use different domain names, do I have to get a VPS account?

I'm looking at the Level 1 plan at Rails Playground... but I want to make sure that I can fun a few different sites.

While its theoretically possible to have multiple Rails sites on a shared host, I wouldn't want to try it. IMO, hosting one small Rails site on a shared host account is about as much as it can handle. The problem is a shared host doesn't have enough resources to spare which Rails requires - particularly memory. And the more Rails sites you have, the more memory it will take up.

You could either go with VPS, or just make a new shared account for each site. I prefer VPS.

As for Slicehost, I think the lowest bracket can handle 3 mongrel instances without a problem, so you could have 3 small rails sites on there without too much hassle. If one site gets too busy you could upgrade to the next plan and add a mongrel cluster to handle the load.

Railscasts - Free Ruby on Rails Screencasts

Hey Ryan,

Do you know of any articles/tutorials/guides on how to go about adding another Mongrel Cluster and making everything tie together?

This is most of what you need:
http://mongrel.rubyforge.org/docs/mongrel_cluster.html

Also check out Rails Hosting Info for a comparison of different Rails hosting companies. Also if you have a comment about any of these companies, please post a review about them. This way it becomes a bit easier for others to choose a good host. Thanks.

Kind regards,

Nick

Slightly off topic, but how does one get more comfortable with setting up and managing something like the slicehost accounts you speak of?
I know the answer always revolves around practice - but where do I head? What is the right direction so that I am not wasting my time and energy in the wrong directions(s)?

dylanfm,

No matter what host you pick, do your best to get comfortable managing a Linux machine remotely through SSH. The commandline is your best friend. If you are new to Linux, I would recommend you try out the Ubuntu distro as it is probably the easest one to use. You can work the APT-GET command for one-line installation of basic software (Apache, MySQL, etc)

You should also know about the deprec gem as it can automate the installation of most of the things you need. There is a free peepcode screencast which deals with this very subject.

Last edited by pimpmaster (2007-04-05 09:45:44)

Based on subsequent raves about Slicehost, I am now looking at it seriously. I know that they have recently deployed FC6, just wondering if anyone has written up instructions on getting it setup with all the usual suspects, Rails, Ruby, SVN, MySQL, etc. I found a good article on Ubuntu setup though, hoping I can find one on FC6. Thanks.

P/S: There is currently a 21 days waiting period for 256MB slice.

Last edited by bngu (2007-04-05 14:14:15)

JiggyMe
"Videos that Matter to You" powered by Ruby on Rails

Ah I'm sorted for a host at the moment, a few months ago I bought a year's MT gridserver hosting - mostly for the opportunity to try rails, use both php 4 & 5 and have postgres databases too.
I'm using osx, the command line is something I am starting to enjoy, but I'm a visual person - I need GUIs and stuff, moving away from that is tricky but good.
I do have a compaq server lying on the floor at home, maybe I can set that up with ubuntu and get the feel of it in a more relaxed situation.

I use Hosting Rails http://www.hostingrails.com/

Runs great for the ecommerce site I built. The thing I like the most is that they don't kill fcgi after 5 min of inactivity like most shared hosts do. So it doesn't take 20 sec to load up a site when no one has visited it for a while.