Topic: Forms 2: The Sequel

Thanks to all the help I received back in Forms 1, my form now looks like this (this works):

[code:ruby]
<% form_for :tile, :url => {:action => "save_tile", :id => @location, :tile_id => @tile} do |form| %>
    <p>Image: <%= form.select(:imageURL, %w{ Wall.gif Passage.gif Chest.gif DeadEnd.gif })%></p>
    <p>State: <%= form.text_field(:state) %></p>
    <p><%= submit_tag "Save" %></p>
<% end %> [/code]

I would like to upgrade this to make it simpler and more human-friendly.

Specifically, I'd like radio buttons, with each choice displaying its associated image, and setting the tile's associated state. (In case it's not clear - the state value is where I'm keeping the knowledge of how a passage, or a chest, or whatever, is supposed to operate. If there's a better way to do this, I'd like to know it.)

My first try at doing this:
[code:ruby]
<% form_for :tile, :url => {:action => "save_tile", :id => @location, :tile_id => @tile} do |form| %>

<p><%= form.radio_button(:imageURL, "Wall.gif", :state => 0) %>
    <p><%= form.radio_button(:imageURL, "Passage.gif", :state => 2)%>

<p><%= submit_tag "Save" %></p>

<% end %> [/code]

Produced two radio buttons, all right. Two unlabeled radio buttons, which did change the imageURL value, but not the state. What should I do instead?

God is a storyteller.

Re: Forms 2: The Sequel

What's the html that you'd like these radio buttons to have?

I.. um... don't.. really.... know.

I'd like the radio buttons to display images as their selection criteria. And I'd like the choice of image to automaticallly pass a corresponding 'state' value.

Can that even be done?

God is a storyteller.

I solved it!

Actually, I decided to eschew forms entirely.

I realized that since I wanted the tile to have a certain set of image, state, and filler_id, and not be able to deviate from predefined sets, (since it wouldn't make sense to have the image look empty but the program think it was full), I was better off putting those attributes in a separate model, and saying that :tile belongs_to :square.

So now I've got two sets of images - the editable grid of Tiles that goes in the Location, and a row of possible Squares that I can assign to the Tiles. It works quite nicely.

Next step: Populating the Tiles with Monsters!

God is a storyteller.