Topic: A little forum help would be nice...

Maybe I'm the only one, but after joining just a few minutes ago I couldn't find any information about using this forum. Not that I needed general help, but some format rules would be nice to know.

I found the "code" tag just by try-and-error... Maybe it would be nicer to tell the newbies in the forum how to format their code properly.

Re: A little forum help would be nice...

Hmmm, that's a good idea.

What do you think would be the best way to do this?  A sticky topic somewhere?  What do you recommend?

I agree with the suggestion. I always look for this when I'm typing a reply, so if possible it would be great to add a link to a help page right near the Submit and Preview buttons.

I only ever look at posts since my last visit so I rarely see sticky posts. But if it was there then I'd at least be able to find it.

There are a few links under the quick post box that explain bbcode, images, and smilies. I've highlighted them in this picture.

http://misc.vinniegarcia.com/quickpost-highlighted.png

Here's the link to the bbcode syntax. It's basically unaltered except we allow the language to be specified in the code tag. So for example, [ code=ruby ][ /code ] will specify that the code is written in Ruby.

This could all be in a better place though, you're right. I'll look into creating a more detailed thread about what can be done on the forums. smile

vinnie - rails forum admin

Good point. I was always too lazy to follow those links. My bad.

I think a dedicated "FAQ" section that houses user guidelines and tips on things like formatting code, etc. will be a welcome addition to the site. Right now, we're sort of concentrating on getting stuff ready for an eventual switch-over to different (RoR-based) forum software.  All of these new ideas and features, though, can/should/will come with that.

Josh Catone helps run this place
Rails Forum - Rails Jobs

Ah, ok, so we wait for the new forum. smile

In general: I don't like sticky topics, they clutter up the forum, I never read them (I think most users ignore them) and they are never there if you need them (because they are in one or the other subforum. I'd like a dedicated help/info page, perhaps in the main menu bar.

I don't know why I didn't follow the links below - I saw the "img tag: on" link and figured that there might be a "code" tag.. Don't know why I never clicked on them... :\