Topic: Launching my first Rails website

Hi fellows,

I am planning on launching a website Web2.0 style. I have some questions for you:

1. Do I have to register a business name before being able to receive money from my website?

2. If I need to create a business, can you please describe a step by step approach? FYI, I am in Canada.

2. How do you protect your code from being copied by the hosting center?

Thank you for your guidance.

Re: Launching my first Rails website

Hey

I'm not sure for canada (I'm from the UK).

1. No, not to get started, but I believe there will be a time when the tax man wants a bit
2. Pass
3. I guess theres no 100% way of being sure. Just go with a trusted provider (slicehost, linode).

Cheers, Red

For one and two, you need to ask your accountant and/or attorney. As for the second 2. - by only using reputable hosts. There's never a complete guarantee, but I'm not familiar with any devs that have been robbed by their hosts. That'd be a real good way for a host to get sued into oblivion.

If you are using any kind of shared hosting (VPS or actual Shared) this risk will always exist. Use a reputable hosting provider - Slicehost, EngineYard, Brightbox - IMO any of these would never risk "stealing" your code. Your code is your intellectual properly, as Dana says, anyone who takes or uses it without your permission is probably an extremely easy target for a law suit. (IANAL etc...)

Adam wrote:

If you are using any kind of shared hosting (VPS or actual Shared) this risk will always exist. Use a reputable hosting provider - Slicehost, EngineYard, Brightbox - IMO any of these would never risk "stealing" your code. Your code is your intellectual properly, as Dana says, anyone who takes or uses it without your permission is probably an extremely easy target for a law suit. (IANAL etc...)

Further to Adam's point, you'll find that a Web2.0 style business (presumably you're inferring community-based value here) would be the least profitable type of site from which to steal the source code. You're all about the community and brand name that has been built up by hard work, rather than clean Ruby code. Don't worry about this one; just choose a reputable Rails host and you're all set.

As for the other points; your local legislation will determine what you need in place and how you register for a company. In the UK you can register a company online in around a few hours and for