Topic: Rails will live or die by its shopping cart

If Rails had a single shopping cart project that was well supported,  it would have a brighter future.

Like Magento.

I know from experience that Rails is more productive than PHP,  but where is the equivalent of Magento?

Hopefully it exists and I have not found it.

Last edited by Gordon Parkinson (2009-03-03 14:11:59)

Re: Rails will live or die by its shopping cart

What's wrong with rolling your own? I've done it twice, and it's super simple. Most recently I built one with the whole Product Variants idea.

Fair question.

Because I want to earn a living and my potential customers would always be asking for a million features,  and I could not support that.   It's a many person job,  like Drupal or Wordpress.  Or Rails itself.

And this is exactly the sort of thing that Rails should be used for.  I am perfectly happy to tinker around the edges but I want something big and popular and stable to build on.

I am looking at http://spreehq.org/ this evening.

The community exists, it just seems to be concentrating on lower level work like authentication and plugins for everything.

Spree is worth a go. I just didn't like the Engines part of it.

Gordon Parkinson wrote:

If Rails had a single shopping cart project that was well supported,  it would have a brighter future.

Like Magento.

I know from experience that Rails is more productive than PHP,  but where is the equivalent of Magento?

Hopefully it exists and I have not found it.

Not everyone is just building ecommerce sites with Rails. It CAN be used for other things like full on systems that just happen to accessed by the internet as opposed to on your desktop. People are off writing these kind of systems that do interesting things instead I guess.

Also like you say you want to make money, probably all these other people that didn't write what you wanted them to probably wanted to as well.

As for your topic line, retarded.

Retarded ?

I only asked why Rails didn't have a full on E Commerce project.   The people behind Spree seem to be doing the right thing,   but they need a lot more help. Other posts here have asked the same (touchy) question about forums.

I myself tend to get buried in the minute details of Rails instead of looking at the big picture. (eg recently validations, using more than one model on a form, routing, all eating up my days). I hope my investment will pay off and would feel more confident if these flagship projects existed.   

I'll install Spree and see if I can help them.

My point was that Rails is for the Web and a major part of the web is shopping, especially if you are a prospective freelance developer.

So no,  the title was not retarded.

Last edited by Gordon Parkinson (2009-03-04 04:52:40)

I stand by it. Rails is not just about ecommerce, much more complex and definately more interesting systems can be written in Ruby.

We designed our VOD website using Rails. Creating the shopping cart was fairly easy.