Topic: iterating through collection in view

OK, total ruby/rails newbie here.  I've been banging my head against this for a
number of hours now, and am sure I'm doing something stupid.

I've got two classes, modeled loosely on the (great) tutorials here on this forum.

class SafeSection < ActiveRecord::Base
    belongs_to :safe_verifications

# adds up and returns the total dollar value of the section.
    def total
        change = pennies + nickels + dimes + quarters + other_coin
        return change
    end
end

class SafeVerification < ActiveRecord::Base
    has_many :safe_sections
end

In the view I can add multiple section objs associated with a particular parent (Yay!).  The problem lies in displaying some info.

Created in the controller:

def create
  @safe_verification = SafeVerification.new(params[:safe_verification])
  params[:safe_sections].each_value { | safe_section | @safe_verification.
safe_sections.build(safe_section) }

My problem in the view:
<% for safe_verification in @safe_verifications %>
  <tr>
        <td> <%= h safe_verification.login %> </td>
        <td> <%= number_to_currency safe_verification.over_short %> </td>
        <td>  <%= safe_verification.safe_sections.count %>
        <%=  safe_verification.safe_sections[0].total unless safe_verification
.safe_sections[0].nil?  %>
        <%=  safe_verification.safe_sections.each { |a| a.total unless a.nil? }  %>
        </td>
<% end %>

I'm able to access the model safe_verification.  I can access the safe_sections collection and use the count member (line 5).  I can even access the collection by the array access(line 6).  But the .each line (8) just doesn't work.  I get #<SafeSection:0xb72ee96c> for each of the outputs, instead of the output of the total function, as I was intending.

What am I doing wrong?  It seems the SafeSection address is really close, but I want to dereference it, but don't know how.  google isn't enough in this case.

Thanks to anyone who can shed some light on this.

Re: iterating through collection in view

The "each" method just calls the block for each element in the array - it doesn't do anything special with what is returned from the block - it doesn't even care about what is happening in the block.

It looks like you might want the inject method:

<%= safe_verification.safe_sections.inject { |sum, a| sum + a.total } %>

Still I'm not certain that will work as expected. You may want to play around with this in script/console. Start that up by running this command.

ruby script/console

You can fetch models here and test looping through them. The result of the call will be output so you can see what everything does.

Railscasts - Free Ruby on Rails Screencasts

Thanks for the quick reply Ryan,

I'm trying that suggestion now.  Just some info for anyone on Ubuntu:
If you try running the ./script/console and you see an error about readline missing, do an "apt-get install libreadline5-dev" and then recompile the ruby source.  Make sure you use the --with-readline-dir=/usr/lib switch to ./configure.  Otherwise it doesn't seem to pick up the location of the readline automatically.

The console script works now, and I'm off to figure this out.

I'm back, and I found some unexpected behavior.

The snippet in questions was:

<%= safe_verification.safe_section.each { |a| a.total unless a.nil?} %>

The intent was to iterate over the children of safe_verification, and trigger a function for each in turn for output in the view.

After playing around with the console, I found that I could execute total on each and the results were sent to the console output.

I don't understand why, but the following does what I was intending:

<% safe_verification.safe_section.each { |a| concat "#{a.total.to_s} ", binding unless a.nil?} %>

So the output of the object reference was due to <%=.  In order for me to output the result of a function I have to use the concat function.

I think the basic problem was I was trying to get the output from a function to the view, and while this works, it seems really ugly to me.  I want the output of the function should be usable as a value by other functions for calculations and also for display in the view.

Am I going about this the wrong way?

OK, after some more experimentation, looks at the online ruby book, and a bunch more coffee:

I moved the code into a helper to cut down on clutter,

Here's the code that doesn't work

inside the helper file:
module SafeVerifyHelper
    def total_sections(sections)
        sections.each { |a| a.total } unless sections[0].nil?
    end
end

Here's code that does work:
module SafeVerifyHelper
    def total_sections(sections)
        size = sections.count
        sum = 0.00
        size.times { |i| sum = sum + sections[i].total }
        sum
    end
end

I put this out here so that if someone see a more idiomatic way of doing things in Ruby, or if this is appropriate, other newbies can see it.

Ed

Placing this in a helper is a good idea. However, you may want to move this into the SafeVerification model instead:

class SafeVerification < ActiveRecord::Base
    def total_sections
        size = sections.count
        sum = 0.00
        size.times { |i| sum = sum + sections[i].total }
        sum
    end
end

Then you can call it lke this:

<%= safe_verification.total_sections %>

As for cleaning up that method itself. Did you try my "inject" suggestion above? This might even work and it's much shorter:

def total_sections
  sections.collect(&:total).sum
end

Untested.

Railscasts - Free Ruby on Rails Screencasts

I did try the inject, but I got an error similar to the one for .each {}:

undefined method `+' for #<SafeSection:0xb719b8f8>

I don't understand exactly why this isn't working.  The collection is accessible as an array.  And I would think that calling .each would return a reference to the SafeSection object, which it seems to.  But the reference isn't directly usable.  It only works if we access it via [] and not the returned reference from each.

However, collect method that you just showed me is more concise and better looking.  Awesome! smile

If you want to use inject use this:

<%= safe_verification.safe_sections.inject(0) { |sum, a| sum + a.total } %>

This is the same as ryanb's code with 0 passed to the inject method. If inject is used without a parameter, sum will get the first element in safe_sections. And since a safe_section doesn't have a + method, you got the error undefined method `+' for #<SafeSection:0xb719b8f8>