Re: Screencasts for Review

Thanks Ceres.

I will definitely look into providing it in other formats. If it's not too hard and I can get decent quality then I will do it.

Railscasts - Free Ruby on Rails Screencasts

I already emailed you like a screaming fanboy but I just can't encourage you enough to keep cranking these out. I have to say that keeping them short is a bit of a plus. I own all the Peepcode screencasts and while they are a treasure trove of information, it is harder to dig around for a particular snippet. Small, taggable screencasts are definitely the move.

As for your difficulty with screencasts, I'm not sure what software you are using, but I find that there is no simpler solution for OS X than iSHowU

I am using this software to make design tutorials and it rocks the house. Highly recommended.

Many thanks for the encouragement! I will keep them coming.

pimpmaster wrote:

As for your difficulty with screencasts, I'm not sure what software you are using, but I find that there is no simpler solution for OS X than iSHowU

I am using this software to make design tutorials and it rocks the house. Highly recommended.

That's what I'm using too. It's great!

I've been watching these too (subscribed to the pod cast).  I think they're great and can't wait to see more.

The last two screencasts were the bomb. You've certainly piqued my curiosity with symbol to proc..

It seems ideal for calling :symbols in a pinch.. can you call more than one symbol though?

I hope you put comments on your site so topics can be expanded on.

Great stuff as usual..

pimpmaster wrote:

It seems ideal for calling :symbols in a pinch.. can you call more than one symbol though?

Nope, you can only pass one symbol.

pimpmaster wrote:

I hope you put comments on your site so topics can be expanded on.

That's in the works, thanks for the suggestion!

Woohoo! You finally started tagging these babies!

On the reals though.. you need to stop posting so much awesome material. Seriously, these things are like downloadable CRACK!

I find myself checking the site daily while scratching my chest and twitching for my next fix. I need help!

tongue

pimpmaster wrote:

Woohoo! You finally started tagging these babies!

On the reals though.. you need to stop posting so much awesome material. Seriously, these things are like downloadable CRACK!

I find myself checking the site daily while scratching my chest and twitching for my next fix. I need help!

tongue

Subscribe via iTunes and then you can just let iTunes do the crackhead scratching for you. big_smile

LOL

thanks for the tip, comrade

for some reason, Websense blocks your site...

Reason:
The Websense category "Sex" is filtered.

URL:
http://railscasts.com/

I thought i'd be able to do something productive in school, but i guess not.

Last edited by Lake (2007-03-22 11:06:53)

Heh, maybe it's the link to PeepCode. Or perhaps it's as good as sex to some coders. wink

I'll contact them and see if I can have them change it.

Haha, Ryan, you smut-peddler, you!

Josh Catone helps run this place
Rails Forum - Rails Jobs

Ryan...

What are you using to edit your clips (adding the intro and outro)?  I've started making some screen casts as training videos for work and iMovieHD seems to be the best choice.

My major problem is that I can't get a big GIF image of the company logo to show up without looking pixilated.  Maybe I need to tweak the iMovie settings.

I do video work outside of Rails so I have access to some fun software. I'm using Final Cut Pro to edit the videos.

Have you tried converting the gif image to another format (TIFF for example) and using that? GIF images are limited in the number of colors they can use, so the anti-aliasing in iMovie is probably freaking out from that.

I did try TIFF (and png and jpeg) but that didn't seem to work.

What DID end up working was setting the video format to MPEG-4 rather than the default of DV.  So far iMovie has been enough, I've added sound, some still frames and the video.  Seems to work fairly well for now. big_smile

Thanks.

You should check the resolution of your logo graphic against the screen resolution of the video you are outputting.  It might be that you're using a low res graphic that iMovie is trying to output at a higher resolution. smile

Can you get a higher res copy of your company's logo?

Rails Forum - Rails Jobs

At first I tried to use a picture that was about the same resolution as the movie, then I tried to use one that I knew was WAY higher than the movie.  It was only when I switched to the MPEG-4 setting that the image became clear.

I know some of you guys prefer a flash format over QuickTime - well you're prayers have been answered. Thanks to ShowMeDo you can now see Railscasts in flash format. The first two weeks are up now and the rest will be added shortly.

If you like the Quicktime version, they are still available in that format at railscasts.com.

BTW, ShowMeDo is looking for more screencasts, so if you want to make some they will probably host them for you.

Very cool. smile

Rails Forum - Rails Jobs

This is rockin' Ryan. I loaded them all up on my ipod and listen to your sweet voice in bed. Yeah, it's as good as sex.