Topic: Is Rails the right for me

Hi folks,

got a problem...
I'm a beginner with Rails and i've got problems to get used to Rails...everytime i want to start a project with rails it is really hard for me to get used to rails and after sometrying without bigger steps forward i give up.
Then i think maybe Rails was not the right choice for me... and i'm trying to do the problem with django.. after some working with it ... i come to the conclusion that rails seems better .. and so on...

I've red 2 books about rails and know how it work and what methods to call an so on... but i fall always because of some smaller inconveniences.

So my questions is am i the only one how has such problems getting warm with Rails or is it normal that at the beginning its tough?
I always read rails is so simple an cool and so on... yes on first glace it seems simple but when actually starting a project its, at least for me, not that simple... thats the reason why i'm thinking maybe rails is just not the right choice for me... how can i always read that its so easy.. but not for me...

I'm not a total newbe to the internet business... but most of the time i was using php(yes haha php and so on...) ... but maybe this is also the problem why i can get warm with rails...

if anyone of you has some tipps or thoughts about that it would be really nice if he would drop them here.

thanks sulo

Re: Is Rails the right for me

Getting started with Rails or any other technology can be tough. Agile web development with Rails really helped me out. I consider it the best intro on Rails. Beware that some coding practices in the book are wrong though.

I found it REALLY tough for the first year and a half. 

I still have moments where the simple things catch me out but the solution is always quite straighforward. 

In other languages/frameworks, you are normally looking at spending several months before you have the know-how to set up your own RSS feed, full-text search engine, have various background processes running on your server etc etc etc but with rails it's possible to achieve all these things by watching a few railscasts so it's conceiveable that you will try to achieve more than you normally would without fully taking the time to understand what's going on. 

That was my big problem.  I breezed over several of the really important issues like REST, testing, TDD without really 'getting' them because there were so many other developments at the same time.  I was trying to take it all in but really I should have just stuck to the basics.

I still don't like TDD, don't think I ever will to be honest so at least I know that now.

Is there anything specific that's getting to you?  I found that I getting my head round REST (and terms like :member, :collection etc) made a big difference to my outlook. 

I've only recently cleared up some misunderstandings that I had about ActiveRecord and what it could be used to do and that's also really helped me out a lot.

I watched SEVERAL railscasts over the weekend there and I feel that it's getting a lot clearer, but yeah, it does take a while to learn the lingo.

Hang in there, what doesn't kill you....

dweebazoid wrote:

I found it REALLY tough for the first year and a half. 

I still have moments where the simple things catch me out but the solution is always quite straighforward. 

In other languages/frameworks, you are normally looking at spending several months before you have the know-how to set up your own RSS feed, full-text search engine, have various background processes running on your server etc etc etc but with rails it's possible to achieve all these things by watching a few railscasts so it's conceiveable that you will try to achieve more than you normally would without fully taking the time to understand what's going on. 

That was my big problem.  I breezed over several of the really important issues like REST, testing, TDD without really 'getting' them because there were so many other developments at the same time.  I was trying to take it all in but really I should have just stuck to the basics.

I still don't like TDD, don't think I ever will to be honest so at least I know that now.

Is there anything specific that's getting to you?  I found that I getting my head round REST (and terms like :member, :collection etc) made a big difference to my outlook. 

I've only recently cleared up some misunderstandings that I had about ActiveRecord and what it could be used to do and that's also really helped me out a lot.

I watched SEVERAL railscasts over the weekend there and I feel that it's getting a lot clearer, but yeah, it does take a while to learn the lingo.

Hang in there, what doesn't kill you....

BDD/TDD won't kill you so I suggest embracing that ...

Yeah getting into tdd/bdd is also a huge step.

ha ha.  good point.

I see railscasts.com is doing a series of vids on testing in general right now, so I'm sure I will end up giving it another shot

I was a HUGE Rails enthusiast when I first starting working with it. Coming from a .NET background, Rails was absolute bliss. I feel there are many good concepts in Rails, but Django is a much better fit for me.

There are benefits to both. I always say use the right tool for the right job.

Brandon Taylor
Sr. Developer

Dell

My main problem atm. is testing... i've never done that... and i'm kind of overwhelmed with learning the rails stuff and then also the whole testing stuff... and it becomes really fast frustrating that nothing i try works and i have to search in the docs and in the net how to solve the current issue... its not really rapid web development wink

and my second problem i think is the same as dweebazoid had...
ok i think i will try to get over the first barriers and give rails another chance.

what would you say .. should i at first skip testing and concentrate on getting the things done?

I would suggest buying the rspec book from the pragmatic programmers and giving it a read, it should be a good start.

It wouldn't hurt to get your head around Rails a bit first, but I would encourage to embrace TDD/BDD as soon as you can. At first you won't see the point, but when you deploy an app that has good test coverage you will wonder how you ever did without it.