Topic: HOWTO: Install Typo 4 on shared hosting
Some hosts are still on rails 1.0. Some others do not have the typo gem available for you to easily install a new blog. The good thing is that is very easy to install typo with subversion and you need not to worry about which gems are available.
I installed Typo on site5 but these steps can be followed (not without some tweaking) for other hosts. The basic idea is still the same.
1.ssh to your server and checkout the source code
svn checkout svn://typosphere.org/typo/trunk myblog
2. Jump over to your site's admin panel and create a database for typo to use and a new user if you need to. Let's assume we just created a database called blog_production and a new user blog_user with full privileges. Now you need to edit some files (remember, everything is happening on the server, so open and edit the proper files)
3. Edit the file config/database.yml.example and enter the proper database name, user and password. Rename this file to database.yml
4. Edit the files public/dispatch.fcgi and public/dispatch.rb and change the very first line to:
5. Edit the file config/environment.rb or you migh get told off! Just uncomment this line:
ENV['RAILS_ENV'] = 'production'
6. Create a symlink from the apps public folder to where your blog will be publicly accessed
ln -s ~/myblog/public ~/public_html/blog
7. Still at the command line, we reed to populate the database:
rake migrate RAILS_ENV=production
That should be it.