Topic: 1.1.5 upgrade problems

I've updated rails to v1.1.5, but mongrel just isn't happy..

If I type rails -v in terminal, it says 1.1.5. If I make a new rails project and view the environment info section, it says 1.1.5. If i use WEBrick, it works, but if i try to start the mongrel server, it says "Cannot find gem for Rails =1.1.5: Install the missing gem with 'gem install -v=1.1.5 rails', or change environment.rb to define RAILS_GEM_VERSION with your desired version."

I'm completely mystified as to what's happening. Everything seems fine, bar mongrel.

Anyone have any ideas as to how I might get it working again?

Re: 1.1.5 upgrade problems

There should be a line in your config/environment.rb file that says

RAILS_GEM_VERSION = '1.some.number'

Change '1.some.number' to '1.1.5', then restart webrick/mongrel.

If that doesn't work, you can try freezing rails 1.1.5 into your application itself. Go to your app's root directory in a terminal and type this:

rake rails:freeze:gems TAG=rel_1.1.5

That will check out Rails 1.1.5 and put it in your app's /vendor directory, so it will use Rails 1.1.5 wherever you may happen to run the app.

vinnie - rails forum admin

Cheers, Vin... I'd already changed the rails version number in the enviroment.rb, but hadn't tried freezing the gems, so I made a new project, froze the gems and mongrel works.

I thought i'd give mongrel one last try on the offending project which I've been having issues with before freezing the gems and it worked! Very strange considering I haven't changed anything in that project since I last tried to start mongrel and it failed. Oh well, at least it works now. It seems really odd that it's been playing up in this way, though..

In Rails 1.2 Mongrel will take precedence over WEBrick when running script/server as well, so now's as good a time as any to start using it.

vinnie - rails forum admin