Topic: Tips on Installing My Rails App on a Shared Host?

I'm using Bluehost.  I'm a little disappointed I went with them now that I see there are many hosts that support rails much better, but I'm stuck at the moment.

I have Rails working, but I just don't know the proper way to migrate my app over.  One of the problems is that bluehost truncates database names that have underscores.  So my database is now called username_savagelanddevelopment (rather than savageland_development).  I made the changes in the database.yml file, but I'm not sure if using a different convention will cause issues.  I noticed only a few hosts support nothing but the _production database. How does that work?

Now I ssh'd in and created a new rails app with the same name as the project i'm copying over.  I then copied over the app, public and test directories.  I read that other people had issues with cgi files not executing properly so I chmod 777 those files.

Obviously things aren't working and I'm sure I committed some cardinal sins in the process.  One major confusion... How can I get the app working if I can't reset apache?  Everytime I make a database change I have to reset webrick, is the same true for apache?

Here's the site:
http://rails.thesavageland.org
My project:
http://rails.thesavageland.org/blog

Sorry for all of the questions but I have been able to find very little on rails with shared hosting.

TIA,
-bt

Re: Tips on Installing My Rails App on a Shared Host?

I got it working, for the most part.  Turns out I could simply copy over my whole project, but I needed to make a test rails app and overwrite those cgi scripts.  Once I did that things started working.

rails on a shared host is a pain - feel free to ask questions.

You should be fine with database names of any style.  It's only table names that Rails cares about.

I actually have it working with no issues right now.  Only thing I really had to do was change the database names.  I have a feeling I'm going to have a lot of questions when I have to install more libraries.