Topic: Should I Know Ruby (non ROR)

I'm rather new to programming, and was just introduced to it a few months back when I signed-up for a Ruby course through my college. I've seen some of the amazing websites ROR has generated and I would like to try making a ROR website myself. Can I skip to ROR, or should I stay focused on Ruby until I have a solid understanding of the language?

Re: Should I Know Ruby (non ROR)

The Ruby on Rails web framework is written in Ruby, so a knowledge of Ruby is pretty essential. If you've already had an introduction to Ruby, then give it a shot, it's really not that hard. Choose a simple project, or follow a tutorial, and learn as you go.

Also, when I was first learning, I started with the "Agile Web Development with Rails" book, but quickly switched over to "Ruby for Rails" to get a better understanding of the language. YMMV, though...

Good luck!

I'm a Phoenix Ruby on Rails developer and startup junkie kicking ass at Flatterline, a Ruby on Rails web application development company.

how do i build a website using ruby on rails

any suggestions..

about the tutorials..sample code..books..or open source tools
available..

thank you

Good Ruby Books

Learn to Program by Chris Pine - Excellent beginners book for anyone that is new to programming. Ruby is used throughout the entire book.

The Ruby Programming Language by Flanagan & Matsumoto - This will really help you to understand Ruby and how it works. It was written by the creator of Ruby so it is very solid info. It is pretty technical but will really help you understand Ruby.

Good Rails Books

Simply Rails 2 by Patrick Lenz - A simple, easy to read book that will get you started with Rails. It's not very deep and will get you started in the right direction.

Agile Web Development with Rails 3rd Ed. - This book will really help you to understand the inner workings of Rails and how to mkae it work for you. A must read if you are serious about developing with Rails.

Boo.

One of the strength of Ruby on Rails, is that it gives you "instant gratification". This is not intended to give you a false sense of ease. With Ruby on Rails real programming is required for anything more than basilar. But, in a first approximation, you can cut off all the details and see something working, having your hand dirty. Assuming that (at the beginning) you use the packages from your Linux distribution, you don't have to struggle for hours/days with installation/configuration.

As Curtis said, you will need a good understanding of many Ruby topics, but you can learn as you go. Ruby and Ruby on Rails don't ask you to conform a never-ending list of incomprehensible rules, you will find them both quite natural. In J2EE you find a LOT of contradictions, even absurdities, a name of a class or package, often mean its contrary or something else. Not so in Ruby, it is built for human beings. 

That said, let me suggest some books.
One is the seldom cited "Head First Ruby on Rails". Not HF books are great, but this one is very good in my opinion: you will not be buried by repetition, every chapter is focused and follow a progression, with some useful iterations.
HF is the thing closest to a live course you could find, and it would give a good, well done, and funny, boot kick.

A slightly more advanced book (good to continue the track) is O'Reilly Learning Rails, I found it very useful, with many "real-life-like" examples. It also helps you a bit in understanding Ruby while you need, but not too much.

For that (and you will need that) I find that the best book at all, one of the best technical ones I ever read, is "The Well Grounded Rubyist": you will be surprised both by the depth of Ruby, and by the ability of the author to help you in getting it. If you ever approached Java (web or not) you will find yourself smiling more than a couple of times reading it.

Then you could end to Agile, but you will be better prepared to get the maximum from it.

And don't forget to follow RailsCasts, they are very good learning material, and they will give a lot of inspiration.

Enjoy.