Topic: radrails servers suddenly became super slow

Hi all,

I've used Radrails to develop Rails apps for a couple years now and it's worked very well.  Today, I fired up one of the Radrails servers for a project I was working on yesterday, and it takes about 5 minutes to start and then is completely unresponsive.  This was working great yesterday and I don't know what's changed that would cause this.  This has happened to several of my projects/servers in Radrails, although certain other ones are still working fine.

In the Servers Window in the Radrails Perspective, if I right-click on a server and select "Start Server", the Status of the server changes to "starting" right away, but a console window for the server takes about 1.5 minutes to appear.  At this point, the status of the server changes to "running", but on the console all I get is a few numbers in quotes, such as this:

"2316"

Eventually (as much as 10 minutes later) other stuff appears in the console that I usually expect so see as the server boots:

=> Booting Mongrel (use 'script/server webrick' to force WEBrick)
=> Rails 2.2.2 application starting on http://127.0.0.1:3006
=> Call with -d to detach
=> Ctrl-C to shutdown server
** Starting Mongrel listening at 127.0.0.1:3006
** Starting Rails with development environment...

Usually, at this point, I expect my server to be running and responsive, but trying to hit the server results in the browser just hanging, waiting for a response from the server, and eventually timing out.  Normally I get a pretty fast response from the server and can see the console updating as log data is created.  Nothing happens in the console.

What has happened?  There are hardly any settings to mess with for the servers in Radrails, and everything appears to be set up alright, and the servers that don't work look like they're set up exactly the same way as the servers that DO still work. 

I've not changed anything on my computer that I'm aware of, no new version of Rails, Ruby, Radrailes, Aptana, Eclipse, or Java.  I'm running on Windows XP because my workplace won't let me run Linux.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Re: radrails servers suddenly became super slow

Wow, after posting this message, more text came up in my console-- this would be about 15-20 minutes after starting the server:

** Rails loaded.
** Loading any Rails specific GemPlugins
** Signals ready.  INT => stop (no restart).
** Mongrel 1.1.5 available at 127.0.0.1:3006
** Use CTRL-C to stop.

Now, when I try to hit the server, after about a 20 second delay it responds.  But this is still ridiculously slow compared to what I'm used to seeing.  Any help?

Re: radrails servers suddenly became super slow

Can you try going into your project from the console and run ruby script/server? See if it's slow or not?