Topic: How do you build a contact form using rails 2.3.4??

Hi Guys,

I have been trying to build a contact form for a website, but can't find any useful tutorials that are up to date. Most rails training covers most of everything else you could need to build a site but most seems to miss this useful little tool. I seem to have gone around in circles, can anybody offer any help?

Many Thanks

Re: How do you build a contact form using rails 2.3.4??

Googling "rails contact form" -- first/second entry: http://matharvard.ca/2009/sep/01/a-bett … m-in-rails

Seems useful, seems detailed, seems up-to-date.  Haven't tried, though.

Thanks, had a look at that - it doesn't work, if you know why it doesn't work, by all means let me know :-)

I've tried, seems to work fine up to sending mail.  My attempt failed finally at ActionMailer config -- and I can't go on because I'm on Ruby 1.8.6 and I would need TLS to get into any mail server I have easy access to -- but that's only available from 1.8.7 on...  Have to upgrade sometime anyway but that's a lot of hassle so I always put it off...  Someone else maybe.

Thanks Boomerang. That's about where I got to also. Thanks for all you're input on this. I'm gonna plug away again tomorrow and see where I get to. If I find a solution I'll post so others can use in the future.

Cheers

This is a great video tutorial on the subject.

http://www.buildingwebapps.com/podcasts … show_notes

In this lesson, we’re creating the “Contact Us” page. There’s two major parts to this: creating the message model and the associated forms and admin setup, and then creating a mailer that takes new messages and sends them to the site administrator via email.

Last edited by Karl Entwistle (2010-01-03 10:21:40)

Safety First, then Teamwork