Topic: Have mywebsite.com/username work with usernames-website.com

I'm thinking about developing a car dealership application in rails.  Lets say the name is CARS.COM.  Dealers will signup for an account and their dealership would be hosted at CARS.COM/DEALERNAME.

If the dealer wanted visitors to go to DEALERSWEBSITE.COM to look at their inventory instead of CARS.COM/DEALERNAME, is this possible?

The site visitors would see DEALERWEBSITE.COM in the URL address, but they'd really be interacting with CARS.COM/DEALERNAME.

Thanks,

Frank

Re: Have mywebsite.com/username work with usernames-website.com

To see the dealerwebsite.com in the url would be tricky. One could set it up as a 301 redirect, so they will see the correct content. Another option is to have the dealerwebsite.com use javascript to populate the page with cars.com/dealername, however that wouldnt be good for SEO. Even better than using javascript would actually be using curl on the serverside of dealerwebsite.com to do the get request. There's probably a better and more technical solution that I am not aware of.

Re: Have mywebsite.com/username work with usernames-website.com

My approach would be to treat your website as an administration facility where dealers can keep their inventory up to date; change prices etc. and then offer authenticated xml or json feeds of the cars belonging to the dealer.

This would mean that you wouldn't have to worry about the front-end design other than for the administration section.

Robin