Topic: using collection_select with arrays

If I have a many to many relationships, and I'm using collection_select to add one entry to the list:

Currently, I have to use a temp variable for the collection_select process, and then append it to the list like that:

collection_select(:unit, :tempweapon_id, @available_weapons, :id, :name)
and then     @unit.weapons << Weapon.find(:first, :conditions => "id=#{temp_weapon_id}")

is there a more direct way to use the collection_select for a many_to_many relationships?

Thanks

Re: using collection_select with arrays

You can enable multiple selection on the select box for handling the many-to-many relationship. See this post for details on how to do that.

Does that solve your problem?

Railscasts - Free Ruby on Rails Screencasts

thank you,
This link helped a lot, especially as I had some problems with checkboxes, but in the case I was thinking about, multiple collection_select would not work: In my case, there would be too many choiches to have all of them appear in a multiple collection select.

I was planning to use javascript to make the user select a category first to limit the number of choices): I think in the multiple collection select exemple, that would remove the items previously selected that which are not in the sub-category.

Last edited by Galdred (2006-08-20 20:01:45)

It should work, you'll just need more logic on the controller side. But then you are getting more complicated than your original solution. If you're satisfied with adding one item at a time, your first solution is probably best. The second line in your original post could be shortened though:

# instead of:
@unit.weapons << Weapon.find(:first, :conditions => "id=#{temp_weapon_id}")

# do:
@unit.weapons << Weapon.find(temp_weapon_id)

# this might work too, but I'm not positive
@unit.weapon_ids << temp_weapon_id

Last edited by ryanb (2006-08-20 20:25:50)

Railscasts - Free Ruby on Rails Screencasts