Topic: Deploying issues on Mac OS X 10.6.4

So I have been developing on Ubuntu 10.4 and now I want to load up my code onto the live server. Contrary to my belief, the live server we have is running on Mac OS X 10.6.4. So my situation is that a previous programmer has apparently set everything up already and I want to update the code. I installed all the new gems that I have been developing with and then copy and pasted my code over and tried accessing the website but it crashed and I get a long list of the error messages.

Is there something that I need to do before I just copy and paste the new code in?

Thanks

Re: Deploying issues on Mac OS X 10.6.4

What versions of rails and ruby were you using on Ubuntu, and Mac os X?

I don't think you should have to do anything specific. I use mac OS X 10.6.4 for developing and it's been very easy to set up and get running. The only thing I had real troubles with on Mac OS X was installing and configuring mysql. The problem lies with versions of different stuff.

Snow Leopard comes with Ruby 1.8.7 x86_64 (64 bit ruby). But I've seen that a lot of people still recommend using MySQL 32 bit, because the mysql preference pane is 32 bit only and screws up with 64 bit MySQL (not sure how so, I haven't seen any ramifications of it yet). So I downloaded and installed mysql 32 bit and it didn't work. Why? Because by default snow leopard has a 64 bit version of ruby. So then I uninstalled MySQL 32 bit and installed the 64 bit version. I could have uninstalled ruby and reinstalled it with a 32 bit version but I chose not to.

I've got it up and running just fine now. I wrote a tutorial on how to set up and configure MySQL and phpMyAdmin in the tutorials section.

If you aren't using mysql then I guess none of that's relevant. But the other thing I had trouble with recently was sqlite3 1.3.0, so I turned around and downloaded 1.2.5. However, there has since been a newer release of sqlite3 (1.3.1, which may have fixed 1.3.0) as well as sqlite3 experimental version. Maybe you downloaded one of those. I wouldn't know about those versions.

Last edited by RailsRhino (2010-07-30 12:08:39)

- Ben