Topic: New to Capistrano and don't really understand how to use it.

HI, I am  just learning Rails and Ruby and am finding myslef a bit lost with it all.

I am not a complete newbie, have been devloping apps with php and MySQL for a few years now but am not very comfortable with Linux, having used PC's and Macs prior to now.

I need to take over the maintainance of the company website which has been created using Rails by an external company. I have downloaded the whole site using SFTP to my machine but they say I need to use svn and capistrano to maintain it but I don't know how I do this (nor particularly understand what it means)?

Some details about the system:
The site is hosted on a Linux server.
We also have an internal Staging Server which I have installed Ruby and Rails on for testing purposes.
My development machine has Windows.

How do I install Capistrano and SVN on the Stagins server.
Do I install Capistrano on this machine (Windows)?
I guess I also need a SVN client (I have used Tortoise in the past at a previous company) or does Capistrano act as this.

Once I have done this I can start unpicking it adn how it works then play around with it on the staging server before touching the live site.

Many thanks for any help.

Re: New to Capistrano and don't really understand how to use it.

Mutantsurvivor wrote:

HI, I am  just learning Rails and Ruby and am finding myslef a bit lost with it all.

I am not a complete newbie, have been devloping apps with php and MySQL for a few years now but am not very comfortable with Linux, having used PC's and Macs prior to now.

I need to take over the maintainance of the company website which has been created using Rails by an external company. I have downloaded the whole site using SFTP to my machine but they say I need to use svn and capistrano to maintain it but I don't know how I do this (nor particularly understand what it means)?

Some details about the system:
The site is hosted on a Linux server.
We also have an internal Staging Server which I have installed Ruby and Rails on for testing purposes.
My development machine has Windows.

How do I install Capistrano and SVN on the Stagins server.
Do I install Capistrano on this machine (Windows)?
I guess I also need a SVN client (I have used Tortoise in the past at a previous company) or does Capistrano act as this.

Once I have done this I can start unpicking it adn how it works then play around with it on the staging server before touching the live site.

Many thanks for any help.

capistrano doesn't work
http://railsforum.com/viewtopic.php?id=3903

you should just export your head revision and sftp it up to your server.

Capistrano definitely works, I've used it several times. You just need to get the configuration right which is a bit tricky and varies depending on your server environment.

I recommend starting with subversion. If you don't understand how version control works then Capistrano will be difficult to learn. Give the Subversion Book a good read and play around with it on your local computer for a while.

Railscasts - Free Ruby on Rails Screencasts

OK, thanks for the response guys. Still a bit unsure as to what is going on with this but am booked in for a 4 day Rails course in May which covers this so hopefully can get away without needing to use it before then (got a few sites to build with php and jsp in the meantime so not much time to devote to this anyway). I'll also look at the subversion book in the meantime (we are going to be setting up subversion here soon anyway so need to brush up on it

If you can't get capistrano to work, you can probably at least mimic the layout.  I couldn't get SVN to compile on my production server so I just rigged a shell script to check it out locally then rsync a tar.gz over and extract it like capistrano would have.

Biggest pain is if I need to change one small thing after it's copied over I have to make sure to change it on my dev machine or it will go away when I deploy again.  Lately when I find something wrong I just edit the file on the dev server then scp it up, then once all the patches are done I commit to SVN.  Some Day I'll change it over to capistrano though, so it's easier for other people to follow.