Topic: Is RJS the right way?

Hi There,

because I wanna do some cool dynamic stuff I need to use JavaScript in my Application.

Some search brought me to RJS - which seems to be something like a JS -> Rails bridge (am I right?)

My Problem is, that there aren't any new Informations on the Web. Most of them are totaly outdated.
So is RJS actually in use? Or should I think about using JQuery or somethin else directly?

Thanks allot
PascalTurbo

Re: Is RJS the right way?

I believe rjs is mainly for rails 2.x.x, either way, I'd recommend using jQuery. It's constantly being developed and implemented and there is a lot of support for it. It's extremely popular and very powerful for developing rich interfaces.

- Ben

Don't use rjs, prefer js files (jQuery is the best framework to write js imo) well tested, well documented and built using best practices.

At time you got a bit of complexity in your views (like states), it's a nightmare with rjs.

Thanks allot.

Will give jQuery a try.

Shall I use this: https://github.com/rails/jquery-ujs

The previous posters are RIGHT on! I started with RJS (with RoR 2.X because RoR defaulted to use it) maybe 1 year ago and I was hesitant to transition to jQuery because I  was afraid of the amount of rework it might create. I started making the transition a couple days ago and I am THRILLED working with jQuery. I wish I would have skipped RJS altogether. Not only is it easy to use, fast and powerful but I really like that it eliminates/removes JS from your views.

I think installing a jQuery plugins to get started is a bit much ... just include it via a CDN (claimed to be faster) in your default layout.

<%= javascript_include_tag 'http://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/1.4.2/jquery.min.js' %>

Last edited by jmesserer (2011-02-12 12:04:07)

I'm not following this, it seems to me the posters are saying somehow RJS and JQuery are mutually exclusive?

RJS is really just another notational convenience useful for when you have a lot of dom twiddling to do.  It's a crude easy to use server side JavaScript generator that twiddles with your DOM.   It has sort of a training wheels vibe to it,  but if you don't want to mess with javaScript, it's handy.

JQuery is a client side JavaScript library.  I don't see how one precludes/excludes the use of the other?

I think it's fair to say if your proficient with JQuery, then RJS becomes less useful,  That said, I really don't use RJS much,  When constructing DOM manipulations with JQuery I use Builder::XmlBuilder mostly,  I have  lots's of code like this:

xm = Builder::XmlMarkup.new
    xm.div() {
      xm.img(:src=>"/images/dl_ready.gif")
      xm << "&nbsp;App ready, "
      xm.a(
        :href=>"http://mysite.com/send_and_remove/#{params[:app]}_#{@rands}",
        :onclick=>"$(this).parent().parent().hide();" + 
        "$(this).parent().parent().prev().show();" 
      ) {
        xm << "click"
      }
      xm << " to download"
    }
    render(:text=>xm)

Last edited by BradHodges (2011-02-12 18:58:43)

Joe got a job, on the day shift, at the Utility Muffin Research Kitchen, arrogantly twisting the sterile canvas snout of a fully charged icing anointment utensil.

My point was I don't even think RJS is still put to use in rails 3 though? At least I haven't seen it. Since I work with jQuery every day now I just write all my own jQuery, and I do it in my application.js, as to follow unobtrusive javascript practice, unlike this brad guy using onclick events :0 !

Last edited by RailsRhino (2011-02-13 16:51:52)

- Ben