Topic: Need Help with Site Design

I'm planning my rails app right now, and since this is my first project, I'm trying to figure out a couple things. In books I've read, they stick to a very clearly defined URL routing syntax.

:controller/:action(/:id)

For the actions, they always use new, view, update and destroy. However, if I'm building a mail application, I may want to use inbox, read/:id (instead of "view/:id"), create (instead of "new"), sent, drafts, etc. I realize I could do this, but are there any advantages to following the normal route naming conventions?

Also, I don't always want to use the :controller/:action routing syntax. Can I write routes like I do in .htaccess files (e.g. so /register would be rewritten to /user/new)?

Thanks for your help in advance!

Re: Need Help with Site Design

Aha, I figured the rewrite part out:

match 'register' => 'user#new' 

controller :user do
    get 'register' => :new
    post 'register' => :create
end

If you use rails 3 try this. its look more well-organized

why using get on :new and post on :create

I assume because GET would be the initial page request and POST would be the registration form submission.

Thanks for the tip, by the way dimak. I'm still trying to get more familiar with Rails 3, and the more I do, the sweeter it gets!

jtomasrl wrote:

In general you can route all requests (get/post/put/delete) into one controllers method, but its not good idea  write php programs on ruby %)

Snowball wrote:

I assume because GET would be the initial page request and POST would be the registration form submission.

Thanks for the tip, by the way dimak. I'm still trying to get more familiar with Rails 3, and the more I do, the sweeter it gets!

I agree with you

-------------------
embrace my fun factory FLASH