Topic: is ruby built for business applications?

Hi guys

i am at a point where i am deciding what language i should use to deploy my business web application.

being a .NET developer i am working on MVC but have read alot about riby on rails.

i know big sites use it like twitter etc but would be good language to develop SAAS in the cloud?

any replies would be great

cheers

Re: is ruby built for business applications?

Of course it's a language capable of doing so, but as always the answer is, it depends.

I am a Ruby developer, and I love it, and if I was working on an SaaS I would chose it in a heart beat. You will hear people tell you that Ruby is slow, this is true, but I also content that for 99% of cases, this doesn't matter. This really is pointless question though. The question should not be, is Ruby capable of doing this, the question really is, are YOU capable of doing it. If you are capable, then are you stil capable doing it in Ruby? If not, then don't use it. Your customers don't give a ***** what your product is written in, they care about what they see in their browser, and if it helps them, is easy to use etc, am I getting value for money, technology matters little.

Hi

i believe that Ruby is capable but i am currently deciding between .net and ruby.

i have read that ruby is slow but that is big scale like twitter but no way will my application be that large (well maybe wink )

i have developed in .NET but want to develop the application rapidly and make the UI very slick

it also comes down to cost microsoft charge for everything

big decision

At my company we do both .NET (also MVC) and RoR projects.  In most cases the differences are not visible to the clients; not even on the UI (since it's HTML/CSS/JS anyway).  A few key differences in our practice are:

• the amount of easily/cheaply available code (plugins): RoR wins by miles; .NET components are expensive in comparison, the integration infrastructure isn't that established, and many times you're not allowed even to peek into the component much less to tweak it.

• programmers' satisfaction (aka 'fun factor'): it's very personal (I like RoR more but it's me); Ruby is "supposed to be" more fun for programmers though some of my colleauges can't stand its typelessness for example

• programmers' efficiency: the differences are not huge maybe RoR being a bit better here, but you loose big time on the learning curve for either (i.e. it takes months to master either one -- OK, maybe less if you're proficient in the other); experience wins over pretty much anything

• user acceptance: when the code has to run at the client (and by the client) they usually have strong preferences -- and I've found more cases where it was .NET than ones for ROR.  In fact Java is stronger than either of these in my environment.

• RoR development is so-so on Windows but its production environment must be linux/Unix; whereas .NET only lives in the MS ecosystem.

is there anybody knows how to call partial files in refinery cms pages???

ruby_3 you're unlikely to get an answer for this question in this thread...

Hi

Thanks for the reply boomerang.

I have been inspired by the likes of Zendesk and twitter but it is more going towards .NET me thinks

ruby will be a learning curve plus here in the UK it would be difficult to hire people whereas .NET has no problems

its such a big decision and need to make it now

I suggest you play with ruby and Rails in spare time and see if you like it.

Have fun while creating something useful -- whatever it takes. smile

If you don't know Ruby then I suggest you pick up Peter Cooper's Beginning Ruby, it's a fantastic book to get started in learning Ruby with.

My answer is yes because Rails is an integrated framework that utilizes the dynamic nature of the object-oriented Ruby programming language. Rails developers emphasize features of the framework for productivity rather than tools, and they take a common approach to Web architecture that should satisfy the needs of a large portion of the Web application projects in the wild.

for me i like ruby more on gaming but you can also use it on business with the .net.
canadian work permit

Have been a CTO at large transaction centric companies. .Net is a guaranteed thing for scaling. ROR not quite sure. But......
From a cost perspective .Net is expensive and ROR is way more productive. ROR has many great plugins. For .net you pay.
For larger applications life revolves around DB access in terms of scaling. .net excels and ROR there are still questions in my mind.
I would play ROR for more tactical applications (limited scope of functionality).  For an enterprise wide application I would choose .net.  Hope this helps and doesn't offend the community because I do love ROR.

This has been an entertaining ruby read as well: Poignant Ruby

Thanks ! for sharing this useful information with us. This web site looks interesting I'm like the concept.  I will definitely keep in mind your suggestion.

tjhack wrote:

Hi guys

i am at a point where i am deciding what language i should use to deploy my business web application.

being a .NET developer i am working on MVC but have read alot about riby on rails.

i know big sites use it like twitter etc but would be good language to develop SAAS in the cloud?

any replies would be great

cheers

Use the one you know better!

Last edited by Richie (2011-09-09 03:33:26)

I think .ruby will be better. But you can use .net also. This also helps a lot. LED grow lights

Last edited by spencer000 (2011-09-17 15:10:10)

I'm at the point of deciding what language programming to concentrate on working with.  I already know HTML and all the basics, but thinking if I should take another course for Ruby Rails?  I noticed that in this industry, those who are experts in Ruby Rails earn more than other language programming experts.  What are your take on this guys?  TIA

Last edited by Geek001 (2011-12-22 21:04:21)