Topic: How to make a deployment on Cloud server?

Hi, i would like to know how to deploy my application on a cloud server.

But i never do that. where i need to start? i uploaded the app via FTP. but how to migrate the database?

thanks for your help.

Re: How to make a deployment on Cloud server?

Your cloud provider SHOULD support ruby on rails.  Their website should explain that part.  They also will likely support a database of some kind.  You have to set up that database, then edit your config/database.yml file to reflect the database you'll use for your production environment on the cloud server.

I deploy on Joyent.  They supply MySQL as the database.  So I setup a MySQL database on my cloud account,then edit confic/database.yml and tell it the database,userid and password I setup.

Then you push your app,  with the updated confit/database.yml file,  and boot your app as per the cloud vendors instructions .

Joe got a job, on the day shift, at the Utility Muffin Research Kitchen, arrogantly twisting the sterile canvas snout of a fully charged icing anointment utensil.

ok, so the server must give the deployment instructions?

I would like to know too, like Site5, they said they use rails 3 on home directory and support only server-side 2.3.3, what is the difference between rails 3 in home directory and server-side ?

thanks

Security in cloud computing vs other hosting options is exactly the same.... Regarding deployment, there is a lot to learn. If you're starting from scratch and really want to understand what you're doing, you're going to spend a few days to a couple of weeks learning full time. If you're looking at an old school shared hosting provider rather than a VPS you're on the wrong track, in my opinion. I'd suggest starting with Heroku.

I'm a Phoenix Ruby on Rails developer currently available for freelance work.

Heroku will be easy for you but if you're interested in learning such stuffs (or want to have more control over underlying stuffs) - then better try AWS - learning curve is steep - in the beginning but as you move on - things become much easier.

Last edited by rkjha (2012-12-26 21:01:29)