Topic: Need help with Server Side/Test Driven Development - willing to pay!

Hi there!

Not sure if this is the right place to post.  If not, I apologize in advance.

I'm a Network Engineer by trade but have been interested in coding for years and have done some work in Rails before.    I am currently building a web application in Rails.  I am planning on making this a publicly available service and have great hopes for its adoption.  I have started developing the app using rails as the RESTFUL back end and am working with an awesome coder for the front-end development which will be done using Sproutcore.  I've never worked on anything this complex in Rails and so far, it's been awesome.  The convention over configuration concept has chopped the learning curve in half.

One of the things I'm trying to do with this project is to start developing unit testing against my existing code, but I lack the experience needed to develop a robust service using TDD.

I've read a bit about the how to do these things, but the concepts are too abstract for me to make the leap and I still feel like I'm only coding as far as I can see, if you get what I'm saying. I'm definitely a fast learner and I think most importantly, I'm excited about the project and the technology we are using to develop it. Just need some guidance in making the right decisions in the beginning.

Since I'm not a Rails expert by a long shot, I am willing to pay for someone to provide mentoring with the rails development, as well as assist me in developing the back-end, which I want to develop using test-driven development so that as the inner workings of the service get more complex, I'll have a safety net to help keep things from breaking.

I've coded quite a few things personally and I haven't needed to do testing cause the user base was small and it was more interesting and easier to simply write the code. However, this time I feel I have an obligation to try my best to get it right in the beginning.   

Hopefully there's someone on this forum who can provide me with the assistance I'm looking for.  You don't need to be a Rails expert, but you do need to have experience in TDD and reside in the U.S.

Thanks in advance.

Brian

Last edited by bushxnyc (2011-12-18 17:46:42)