Topic: Use Gmail as SMTP

I'm trying to use Gmail for sending email on development side (localhost). I set it up this way on the environment.rb:

config.action_mailer.smtp_settings = {
    :address => "smtp.gmail.com",
    :port => "587",
    :domain => "localhost:3000",
    :authentication => :plain,
    :user_name =>"john.smith.localhost@gmail.com",
    :password => [PASSWORD],
    :tls => true
  }

unfortunately it doesn't work. I also find some tutorials too, but it requires me to have a working domain to use it.

Question: Is there a way to do it even if you still don't have a domain? Thanks in advance

Re: Use Gmail as SMTP

You could try using gmail.com as the sending domain.  Think about it, 99% of gmail users don't have their own publicly known domain,  so what do they send out as the HELO domain when they send email from their mail client?  I don't know, I've never used gmail,  but it would make sense that if a valid gmail user is sending email,  they'd be able to say that 'I'm sending this on behalf of gmail.com!'

The HELO domain is just used to check for spammers and mail bots that have infected a users machine,  I think all you have to do is make sure the HELO domain is a fully qualified domain name and that it is publicly resolvable on the internet.  If ANYBODY is going to trust the gmail.com domain,  it's gmail.com!

Joe got a job, on the day shift, at the Utility Muffin Research Kitchen, arrogantly twisting the sterile canvas snout of a fully charged icing anointment utensil.