Topic: Using something rather than notepad...

Hi,

Im new to Ruby on Rails so im following a tutorial:

http://ruby.railstutorial.org/

But the guy opens up the Gemfile using mate (he is on a Mac)...so when using notepad all the formatting is everywhere. I also have notepad++ installed, but cannot seem to open the Gemfile with notepad++

The command im using is

notepad Gemfile

After a quick search, it seems that there are ways to get notepadd++ working, but I was wondering what you Windows users use instead of Notepad?

Thanks, hope I made myself clear enough

Re: Using something rather than notepad...

http://www.scintilla.org/SciTE.html

That's just a text editor that knows ruby syntax, it free and easy

Before I switched to Mac I used Aptana RadRails

It's also free, but a bit more work to install,  but the editor is Ruby AND Rails aware.

Joe got a job, on the day shift, at the Utility Muffin Research Kitchen, arrogantly twisting the sterile canvas snout of a fully charged icing anointment utensil.

You had me at, but easy too? Deal smile Got it installed and working, but not too sure of the command to open the Gemfile in SciTE rather than notepad...any ideas?

since Gemfile does not have an extension,  you'd have to make it your default open with editor,  but I think you'll notice that now that you've installed it,  if you right click on the file in explorer, and drop down to the 'open with...',  you'll see the editor as an option to 'open with'

Joe got a job, on the day shift, at the Utility Muffin Research Kitchen, arrogantly twisting the sterile canvas snout of a fully charged icing anointment utensil.

Ah ok, I thought I had to use Git to open the files (never thought about using Windows Explorer), it was just this guy used this in Git

mate Gemfile -> Opens another Gemfile in textmate/new window

I thought I could use something like

c:\program files\SciTE.exe Gemfile

Or shouldnt I bother too much about this and just continue?