Topic: Have you tried Ubiquo?

Hi,

we did release a CMS framework on MIT license some time ago, and would like to know what do you think of it.

Do you know Ubiquo? Did you like it?

http://www.ubiquo.me

We'd love to get your feedback.

Just as a summary, Ubiquo is a CMS framework that we use at www.gnuine.com to build web sites for our clients.

Main features are:

• Improved styled scaffolds with filters and more custom features

• Easy multimedia attachments management

• Versionable, i18nable models, controllers and views out of the box

• Activity logging system to monitor user actions

• Users manager

• Access control and authentication mechanisms

• Asynchronous job integration and management

• Stack the plugins you need on top of the core - only install the necessary for your application

You can watch our screencast on how to create a store with Ubiquo in 2 minutes

Re: Have you tried Ubiquo?

So how does it compare to Rails and more specifically to Ruby?

What you want and what you need are too often not the same thing!
When your head is hurting from trying to solve a problem, stop standing on it. When you are the right way up you will see the problem differently and you just might find the solution.
(Quote by me 15th July 2009)

It's on top of Rails. With ubiquo you build a Rails app with the ubiquo plugins. They carry the customizations and built-in features.

It runs on ruby 1.8.7 and jruby 1.6.5.

Its not a regular CMS as you use the custom generators to build the site.

Supported DBs are sqlite, mysql, postgres.

We're moving to ruby 1.9.3 / rails 3.2 and will be released soon.

I've had a quick look at it and if you want my advice I would make it a rack application thus enabling Rails developers to use it however they wish. It's far too limiting for my existing apps and I wouldn't want to build a new app based on it.
You obviously have put a lot of work into it so I'm sorry if my reply is a bit negative but it just isn't up to scratch however I wish you luck

What you want and what you need are too often not the same thing!
When your head is hurting from trying to solve a problem, stop standing on it. When you are the right way up you will see the problem differently and you just might find the solution.
(Quote by me 15th July 2009)

Thanks for your time jamesw. I apprecieate your comments.

I don't know the type of websites you do but it's being really useful for us. Avoiding to reinvent the wheel over and over again.

The limitting thing for me is being on rails 2.3.14/prototype, not the plugin itself.

We'll go ahead with it as long as its a time-saver/fast-release piece for us.

But, again, thanks for your time. I asked for an opinion and you gave me one smile