Topic: I need deployment suggestions

Hi everybody,

I have large system that I have to deploy to Amazon EC2 cloud and I need some suggestions,
Our system built from few servers:
1. Rails app
2. Redis
3. Resque
4. Faye (private_pub)
5. Elastic-search

Can someone suggest me how to deploy this system?
All the servers on one large instance ? should I split them between few servers? each one on standalone micro instance?

Thanks!

Re: I need deployment suggestions

I would expect the answer depends on how each is used and how they might compete for resources.  If they communicate among themselves I would expect on large server would be better.  If not it would really come down to economics which would probably favor a single server.

Hi,
Thanks for the quick reply,
Currently we don't have users at all so we can start with small environment  with low resources,
The rails app communicate with each of the other servers, also the Resque use the same Redis that the rails app using.
We are looking for the quick and easy deployment but we want to be able to scale for large amount of users.

I'm new to deployment in general and I still don't know I should deploy all of this servers, can you point me to some good resources or giving me basics guide lines?

I already watched the last railscasts and read few articles on this topic.

Thanks!

It sounds like what you really have is a large server contained in multiple communicating processes.  The best for performance and simplicity would be to put it all on one server.  It sounds like you may have a bit of time.  In that time you should try to figure out what parts of it can be farmed out to other servers with the minimal impact on performance.  It would be nice if you could figure out a way to model the whole thing so you could try different loads and different splits of the system.  I can't really give you any authoritative references on that.

It really is not a problem specific to rails, it is just a distributed system problem.

Yes you are right this is more distributed system problem.
Thanks for the advices, you gave me an idea.