Topic: Looking for mod_rails shared hosting

or at least a shared hosting account that includes rvm and allows me to deploy Ruby 1.9.x and Rails 3.0 or 3.2.
I'm considering A2Hosting, anyone have experience with them? Any other recommendations?
I looked at Heroku, but honestly I find it confusing. I'm using to having shell access and I don't understand their billing/dynos system at all.

Re: Looking for mod_rails shared hosting

I use Joyent,  I use Apache plus Passenger,  I have Rails 3.2.2 and Ruby 1.9.3 deployed there.  One caveat,  if you're used to Linux,  Joyent uses OpenSolaris,  so there are a few things you'll have to relearn.  Joyent gives you root access to a virtual machine (a Solaris Zone),  you can do anything you want!!!!

It's not cheap, $25/month,  but for that you get a 4 CPU Quad Core (16 cores) all to your self.  I've been using them for years and am very satisfied.

Joe got a job, on the day shift, at the Utility Muffin Research Kitchen, arrogantly twisting the sterile canvas snout of a fully charged icing anointment utensil.

Thanks Brad. Do you have a link to the service you're using? I've been browsing their site, and this is the closest I've found so far, and the cheapest option is $62/month:
http://www.joyentcloud.com/products/pri … tos-linux/

Sorry,  that was when they offered 1/4 and 1/2 machines (meaning the big 16 core box was shared with 1 other or three other users).  I now see that they have discontinued that offering,  and only offer a complete whole machine for $62.  I used to pay $25 for a 1/4 machine.  I forgot that fact.  I discontinued my 1/4 machine and bought a full machine a few months ago,  but I am paying $62/month now, (I think I don't remember,  but I know I'm paying more than I was for the old 1/4 machine).

If $62/month is not in the budget,  I'm sure there are other RoR hosting providers that will support 1.9.3 and the latest version of rails for less.  I just like Joyent because it's literally my machine,  I can do anything I want on it!  (Well not anything,  there are some crucial system files that you can't edit,  even though you are root.)  But the freedom and control you have over what you install is pretty handy for me, I do some weird stuff,  stuff that cheaper hosting providers wouldn't allow or support.

Joe got a job, on the day shift, at the Utility Muffin Research Kitchen, arrogantly twisting the sterile canvas snout of a fully charged icing anointment utensil.

No problem, thanks for the info. I can't find any shared hosting accounts that will allow me to run a Rails 3.2 application, plus I've read a couple of articles that discourage Rails on a shared hosting account, so I'm thinking I'll look for a VPS. $62 isn't in the budget (yet), but it looks like I can find something around $30 to get me started, and hopefully it won't take long to start getting some customers.

I use slicehost for $20 for the minimal configuration which is enough for a low traffic site with apache2/mysql.  It is a vps that I manage myself.  I think there is some gui interface for some of the management but I am an old Unix hacker so I just go in with ssh and do what needs doing. 

They are now pushing a rackspace (same company) cloud offering that minimally goes for $10+ and then some charge for traffic.  I have not gone to that yet but probably will some day.

Thanks Norm. I'll be sure to take a look at Slicehost's VPS options.