Topic: Starting my application on Mediatemple but receiving an error...

Hello all,

So far I was able to just manually upload my app to mediatemple because Cap had problems with my svn directory.  But now I try to start my application and I receive this error:

xilo32.com@cl26:~$ mtr start modpile
Error executing command:
application started, but pid file was not found, check 'mtr status'

And when I go to the url where my app is linked to, I receive:

Application error
Rails application failed to start properly

Anyone have any clues as to what I should check or do to get it running?  I tried googling what in the world the pid file is, but I can't find anything.

I did check to make sure I ran the command mtr generate_htaccess <appname>, but it still fails to start.

Thanks in advance!
Adam

Re: Starting my application on Mediatemple but receiving an error...

I had this same problem when I tried to manually copy my files over.

I think what worked for me was to create an empty app using the (mt) generator and then copying the files into that.  Then run 'mtr generate_htaccess' and you should be good to go.

I am having the same problem.  Were you able to solve the problem using Firanide's suggestion?  I have started from scratch 3 times and everything seems to work according to the instructions on Media Temple.  But my app will not start and I get the same error message about the pid file not being found.

I did generate_htaccess and then tried to start and that did not work either.

Doing mtr info and mtr status seem to show that everything was set up correctly otherwise.

Please let me if you found the secret!

Thanks.

What worked for me was reading through the logs and finding out what the error was saying.  For my particular problem, the defined rails version on my local machine (which is running Locomotive) was not the same as the rails version running on Media Temple.  This can be found in your Environments file.

Now I can't say that this will be the solution for you, but look at the logs from the logs/mongrel.log or any other log that gets updated when you try to do a "mtr start <app name>" and post your findings.  Maybe from there we can figure out why you're app isn't running.

Last edited by xilo32 (2007-05-03 17:57:34)

I checked out my application's RAILS_GEM_VERSION is environment.rb. Looks like I'm on 1.1.6.

I'm a little embarassed, but I'm not as savvy when it comes to navigating around my environment on MT.  So I was not able to locate my Mongrel logs to see what else could be going on.

If it's possible that version is the problem, how were you able to resolve it?

Thanks for sharing.

Well, it's hard to say.

I made that change as well, because by default when I create a new app in Locomotive it sets the rails gem version:

RAILS_GEM_VERSION = '1.2.1' unless defined? RAILS_GEM_VERSION

But in order for me to get my app working, I had to change it to:

RAILS_GEM_VERSION = '1.2.3' unless defined? RAILS_GEM_VERSION

On another note, the customer service rep also mentioned that most of the time we should make sure that the app works on the client side first, and when you know it does then try and upload it to MT.  And if it doesn't work when you upload it to MT, then make sure to read the logs.  Usually the logs will either give you suggestions or tell you where to start looking in your code/configurations to get it up and running.

xilo32,

Thanks for the advice!  That seems to have worked.  Now the app starts and I can get the homepage to show.  Now looks like I have a few deprecated items to deal with.  One thing at a time!

Very cool!  Glad to hear that you got it running.

Don't forget to share your app with the rest when you get it finished so the rest of us can oogle at it!