Topic: How To: Run website from a Redhat Linux machine

Hi,

I need to run my website from a Redhat Linux machine which is located in my home. I already purchase a domain which is now running from a paid host.

I am not a advanced technical person. If anyone simply guide me, hope I could do it.

Please tell me step by step procedure to do it.

Fahim

Re: How To: Run website from a Redhat Linux machine

First you need a publicly routable ip address (not an address that changes from time to time).
Second you need to configure a web server (probably apache2 or nginx would do the job).  If you use the redhat software manager to install it will probably set up the basic configuration.  If you are running a rails application you should install passenger to do the work and then you have to define and configure virtual hosts.  You can go to the Phusion passenger web site (goggle it) for instructions on setting up passenger.  It will also assist you in setting up the virtual hosts.

It is simpler than it sounds.  Just go to the web sites and read the documentation.

thanks....i m going to google it...

nginx an uncorn is an awesome combination - You might find this useful
http://railscasts.com/episodes/335-deploying-to-a-vps

What you want and what you need are too often not the same thing!
When your head is hurting from trying to solve a problem, stop standing on it. When you are the right way up you will see the problem differently and you just might find the solution.
(Quote by me 15th July 2009)