Topic: Page routing fails on Hostgator subdomain

Hi all,

I have a hostgator site running WordPress, and I wanted to see if I could get anything going with RoR on the same account. I created a subdomain, and everything correctly directs traffic from subdomain.domain.com to my rails app.

I used "script/generate scaffold Task name:string", and it correctly created views and added routes to config/routes.rb. However, when I navigate to subdomain.domain.com/tasks, Chrome returns with "Oops! This link appears to be broken.".

Troubleshooting, I deleted public/index.html and added the route "root :controller => 'TasksController', :action => 'index'" to config/routes.rb in order to see if the tasks view would work from subdomain.domain.com. However, the page now returns "Error 6 (net::ERR_FILE_NOT_FOUND): The file or directory could not be found."

Does anyone know why subdomain.domain.com/tasks might fail to return anything? Or why my route for root fails to redirect to the tasks index? Or general debugging advice for figuring this out myself?

(I'm a professional developer in C#/ASP.NET and PHP, but I'm completely new to ruby. Any advice is much appreciated!)

Last edited by templewulf (2012-11-08 00:26:27)