Topic: Help on deploying a Rails application onto a web server

have a web server running on DreamHost and am trying to put a Rails app i made onto the server.
I followed this tutorial on the DreamHost wiki site: http://wiki.dreamhost.com/Getting_Start … y_on_Rails
and the basic rails start-up page worked on my domain site.
However when I tried to upload any other app that was even slightly more complex than the "Welcome to Rails" page I got this
passenger error page :
   Ruby (Rack) application could not be started
   Error message: Could not find rake-10.0.3 in any of the sources (Bundler::GemNotFound)
I thought that this might be a result of me not freezing the gems to the app but when I tried to do so (following the dreamhost tutorial) I got this error message:

An error occurred while installing mysql2 (0.3.11), and Bundler cannot continue.
   Make sure that `gem install mysql2 -v '0.3.11'` succeeds before bundling.
I tried various different ways of installing mysql but it didn't work.
I'm really stumped as it seems that nothing is working for me so I was hoping that someone could shed some light on the issue for me.
Cheers,
Louis

Last edited by louiscb (2013-01-05 15:49:47)

Re: Help on deploying a Rails application onto a web server

I've written a similar tutorial on deploying rails app to vps server (configuration is : Ubutnu 12.04 LTS + unicorn + nginx + capistrano + MySQL). Although, I explained using Linode vps but it should work well for dreamhost too.

Last edited by rkjha (2013-01-07 04:42:32)