Topic: syntax error, unexpected ':', expecting '='

I've been trying to build a Rails 3.2.11 site since last night and every time I attempt to use the formatting/convention

parameter: value

I continue to get the error in the title of this post. I don't get it. For example, I added a "slug" column to my Pages model and have set up some validation (from this Railscast: http://railscasts.com/episodes/63-model … asciicast) and this validation line is causing the error:

validates :slug, uniqueness: true, presence: true

And any time I try to update the existing Pages in the console, I get this error:

SyntaxError: /Users/kkerley/Documents/www/kkerley.com/app/models/page.rb:4: syntax error, unexpected ':', expecting kEND
  validates :slug, uniqueness: true, prescence: true
                              ^
/Users/kkerley/Documents/www/kkerley.com/app/models/page.rb:4: Can't assign to true
                                    ^
/Users/kkerley/Documents/www/kkerley.com/app/models/page.rb:4: syntax error, unexpected ':', expecting '='

I'm using Ruby 1.8.7. Is this why? Is that convention something new added in 1.9.x or something? At this point, that's the only thing that makes any sense to me.

EDIT: And I have since updated "presence" to be spelled correctly but the errors persist.

EDIT 2: I installed RVM and upgraded to the latest Ruby 1.9.3 version and now all's working as expected.

Last edited by klyrish (2013-01-30 14:03:31)